PDA

View Full Version : True trac travk saw system

Bill ThompsonNM
08-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Anyone have any experience with the True Trac track saw?

Everything sounds great in ads, but I've learned that if its too good to be true, it probably is!

They have a new ad distributed by the Popular woodworking lit, I believe.

http://www.insighttoolworks.com/index.html

Thanks, until I win the lottery, the Festool is out.

Well that would be True Trac Track saw system if I could post

johnny means
08-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Seems pretty expensive to me. All you're getting is a straight edge. I used a shop made circular saw guide for years before I ever heard of the Festool saw. You can tell by looking at the adapter plate that bevel cuts are going to be problematic. Also, it looks like you loose quite a but of cutting depth between the mounting plate and rail. I must admit though, I am predisposed to be doubtful of any product that is basically a couple of parts that need to be made into a jig by the buyer.

Matt Meiser
08-18-2013, 10:52 AM
I owned a similar "money saving" guide rail. I sold it for about 1/2 of what I paid, then bought a purpose-made saw and rail system. Think the Festool is expensive? Waste a couple hundred bucks on something kludgy first. The problem with any guide rail system designed for a skilsaw is the skilsaw which was designed with cutting 2x4's and plywood on a construction site, not precision woodworking. Bearings, blades, bevel scales, and the like are all designed for that level of precision, not getting a final cut in expensive sheet goods. I had one of the saws the manufacturer recommended at the time and it required constant fiddling. Skilsaws also aren't designed with dust collection in mind. At best, American-market circular saws might have a tacked-on dust port. Mine had one. It wasn't a particularly functional chip collector much less a dust collector.

Like Johnny said, you can make your own guide that is functionally equivalent. All these systems tack on a zero clearance feature, which you can also achieve with a shop-made base.

Dewalt and Makita offer similar quality, similar design saws to the Festool. The biggest drawback to them IMHO is the fact you can't expand the system with the MFT table. If you're sure you don't want to do that, those systems offer a decent savings. There's also the Grizzly which was introduced earlier this year. Used saws show up from time to time as well. If I were you, I'd make my own and save my pennies for the real thing. You're half way there just by skipping an 8' Tru-Trac system.

One other thing--any of these systems whether a guide rail or a purpose-made saw have consumables. I don't know how many small woodworking do-dad manufacturers have folded in the 15 years I've been woodworking. Make sure you consider that possibility with whatever you choose. Festool and Makita have a good track record of supplying parts long term. Dewalt...its mixed but I bet you can substitute Festool or Makita's edge because they are all self-adhesive. If it uses a proprietary plastic extrusion, what would you do?

Loren Woirhaye
08-18-2013, 11:16 PM
There's another similar system of aftermarket saw guide I use now. It's pretty good. I had a Festool before. I prefer the non-plunge saw for most work. Also, look at the price and range of available accessories for these rail systems. If you want the guide rail to actually substitute for a panel or table saw for repetitive dimensioning cuts you will want to invest in various squaring and repeating accessories.

Mike Herman
08-18-2013, 11:45 PM
I bought one of these two years ago. I am very happy with it. It cuts great. True if you use a cheap circular saw the cut will not be very nice but with a good saw, I have a Makita with the magnesium base, it cuts very nice. With just a straight edge the saw can move away from the guide, not with the true track the bevel on the extrusion keeps the saw in perfect alignment. As far as cut depth goes, how deep does a Festool cut? or a Dewalt. or a Grizzly. I would like to see anyone that can make a "shop made" track that is as precise as an aluminum extrusion. Extrusions are accurate to a few thousandths of an inch. I don't think I could make something that precise