PDA

View Full Version : 28-300 Rockwell bandsaw

Carl Winterbauer
08-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Just purchased this metal / wood bandsaw which has been in storage many years as well appears in great mechanical (far as I can see) condition as well been protected from rust and abuse.
Has the miter, fence, long square tube fence rails plus poly tires.
Serial number KO9706.
Questions, any clue what year of manufacture as well anything to look into with checking the internal gear reduction unit to prevent any future damage besides feeling for bad bearings and an oil change?
Has anyone made a sheetmetal cover to protect the table should I use it to cut metal vs wood (95% wood 5% metal)?

THX, Carl

Myk Rian
08-18-2013, 9:12 AM
Don't worry about the gears. I've never heard of any going bad.
Sheet metal cover? That's your call.

Judson Green
08-18-2013, 2:24 PM
I've got the just the wood cutting version of your saw and like it very much, but did not care for the small (14×14") table. So I made a larger table, out of ½" MDF and some poplar, that sits on top. It has a "finger" thats glued to the MDF table and fits the miter slot milled into the cast iron table. I don't know what your fence system is like, but with mine if I wanted the fence on the other side of the blade it meant removing the blade, moving fence and reinstalling the blade. So a side benefit of this MDF table top is simply being able to move the table back a bit and siding the fence to the other side.

Not really sure if this address your concern.

Carl Winterbauer
08-18-2013, 6:42 PM
Thanks for your replies Myk and Judson.
I figured it as such it would take a lot to have gear damage like running it without oil with failed bearings or rust from water.
This saw feels smooth manually turning but haven't run it with power.
With the fence I believe it's Rockwell's No. 28-845 (32") guide rails per instruction manual for it dated 6/5/79.
I bet this is app the age of this saw, haven't found a year connection with the KO9706 serial number.
Must also thank Judson for the photos of the larger table as the 14" SQ unit is rather small, ideas spinning in head.

I find it a sin cutting metal unless I made a tin cover for table protection.
I've always used a tin cover fitted to the 12"x36" Craftsman (Atlas) lathe when sanding turned parts protecting the ways from grit. A friend's newer lathe is totally destroyed from grit damage not covering the ways, rather stupid not respecting machinery.
I must mention the saw is still in the seller's garage I haven't had it delivered, going off memory.
Heck haven't checked the hp of the motor or brand yet.
The last Rockwell 14" wood only app 1962-64 era vanished, stepson stole months ago, it was promised to me years ago by an old family friend. He passed away, his wife knew it was to be my saw.
Karma in life I ended up with this metal / wood saw.
Again thanks,

Carl