PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how good Diamond Edge Chisels are ???

Bill Huber
08-16-2013, 9:51 PM
I have been given 3 Diamond Edge Chisels, that is the only brand name on them. I can not really find out that much about them, I think they were made by a company in St. Louis.

They are 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4", they have plastic handles on them, they are not in to good of shape. They are not rusted just look like they were sharpened with a file and there are some nicks and they are not square. From what the person that gave them to me said they think they were bought in the 50's.

I guess the question is are they worth taking the time with the Worksharp to clean them, square them up and put a good edge on. Is the steel in them good and will they hold an edge.

Myk Rian
08-16-2013, 9:55 PM
I find that the best way to determine if a chisel has good steel, is sharpen it on my Worksharp. If the edge rolls over to a wire, it's not good steel.
I have a couple Diamond chisels, but keep them in a box reserved for the old tools. I don't remember how well they sharpened.

Bill Huber
08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I find that the best way to determine if a chisel has good steel, is sharpen it on my Worksharp. If the edge rolls over to a wire, it's not good steel.
I have a couple Diamond chisels, but keep them in a box reserved for the old tools. I don't remember how well they sharpened.

I took the 1/4", squared it up and then started with 120 and worked it all the way to 6000 and I can shave with it and it cut end grain like butter and I am happy.
Now I just have to do the other 2 and see how it goes.

Brian Gumpper
08-16-2013, 11:13 PM
I believe they were made by Shapleigh in St. Louis.

Bill Huber
08-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I believe they were made by Shapleigh in St. Louis.

That is what I found, they are looking ok so far, I have just got started on the 1/2", it is in real bad shape.