PDA

View Full Version : Zing won't accept job?

David Linahan
08-16-2013, 8:53 PM
Unfortunately the laptop I use to run my Zing 24 50W had a hiccup and I needed to reset everything back to it's original defaults.( not happy). I reinstalled Corel x6, Photoshop CS3 , Norton antivirus and the Epilog driver Ver 8.05. Nothing else, as it's only used in the shed now for the laser. However, now when I send a job to the laser it doesn't respond. Nothing...not a flicker...I reinstalled the drivers 3 times..triple checked the settings...banged my head on the bench..swore at it..nothing..The only thing on it's screen is, Job: .
I have always used the crossover cable from day one, and it had never been unplugged but I tried the red USB cable and it made no difference. It's the weekend here and I can't contact the agent for help so I was wondering if anyone here has an idea?. Any help would be great.

Dave.

AL Ursich
08-16-2013, 9:17 PM
I went through a similar problem a few years ago with a Epson R1800 Sublimation Printer.... The Solution and possible fix for you is to delete the USB Print Driver and let the machine find it new again.

It's not a laser thing but a USB or Driver thing....

At least that is something.... More knowledgeable users will chime in soon.

AL

David Linahan
08-17-2013, 3:25 AM
I've tried that many times and again after your suggestion....but it still wont work.........:confused:

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-17-2013, 1:16 PM
When you had the crossover cable attached, did you set an IP address for the laser? (Directions should be in the manual.)

David Linahan
08-17-2013, 7:47 PM
Yep Mike....I've done that a few times as well.......

David Linahan
08-17-2013, 10:13 PM
I connected another laptop to the laser with no success either. This unit runs the 64 bit version of Win7. So I installed the 64 bit driver etc etc...but there is still no reaction from the laser.....:confused:

Ronald Erickson
08-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Do you have both the laser and the laptop on the same subnet? (192.168.0.1 laptop, 192.168.0.2 laser, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask) If you reset your laptop (which I'm assuming means you restored a factory image), maybe it tried assigning a 10.x.x.x address?.. Since you have two laptops, you can connect them together to test the crossover cable (as long as they have ip addresses in the same subnet).

Wilbur Harris
08-17-2013, 11:53 PM
I don't know what a crossover cable is but if it has pins, look to see if any are bent. If the cable doesn't have pins....never mind. As others have suggested, check for IP conflicts. Setting the IP is different from having a conflict - I think.

David Linahan
08-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Well...I don't know what to say...I reconnected the first laptop running the 32 bit Win7, reset all the settings etc again.....and...yep...it worked!...I'm at a loss as to what I did or didn't do that got it sorted. Any way...I'm back in action cutting precision bits of rubbish...:D

Dave Sheldrake
08-18-2013, 9:22 AM
I don't know what a crossover cable is but if it has pins

A network cable,

Patch cable = pins 1 - 8 go to the matching pins 1 - 8 at the other end.
Crossover cable = pins 1 and 8 are swapped over to meet pins 8 and 1

Patch cables go between PC's and routers,hubs,modems, crossovers go between two terminal devices ie: pc to pc

Setting the IP is different from having a conflict - I think.

It is, IP addresses can be set to connect two devices, an IP conflict is when two devices on the same subnet have been assigned the same address, 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.2 is fine, 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.2 = conflict.

Norton antivirus and the Epilog driver Ver 8.05

Could I suggest ditching Norton Dave? it's a gawd awful piece of software, invasive, and a memory hogger.

Kaspersky Anti Virus is excellent for mission critical machines / internet machines or AVG if you just have a lower level PC that controls a laser and does nothing else (AVG is free) (Cisco UK use Kaspersky and have done for many years)

cheers

Dave

Norm Zurawski
08-18-2013, 1:25 PM
Not to hijack this thread but! When the Epilog sales rep came and set up my machine. He could not get the network crossover cable to work. We did hook up his laptop and all was fine. So I know the cable is fine. So I now use the USB. A computer guy seems to think I have a conflict with my wireless network USB and the hard wired network connection. Any body have an clues as what to look for? The hard wired crossover cable was more stable on last Epilog 24TT. But that was set up on a WinXP computer. I should note that this is a garage computer setup using a wireless router setup as a access point for my internet/networking. So that means I have one network cable going to my garage, then the access point connects to two different computers via wireless USB's.

Dave Sheldrake
08-18-2013, 1:53 PM
Uhhh I'm a bit lost Norm,

We did hook up his laptop and all was fine. So I know the cable is fine.

Okayyyy, that's a terminal to terminal set up using a crossover, quite normal and won't cause any conflicts.

A computer guy seems to think I have a conflict with my wireless network USB and the hard wired network connection.

When you say "hard wired network" do you mean as in a Cat5 cable/network cable or via USB network?

The hard wired crossover cable was more stable on last Epilog 24TT

Think of network cables like drain pipes, a Cat5 etc cable (crossover) is a big pipe, the USB is a smaller pipe, one can "process" far more than the other (bandwidth)

I should note that this is a garage computer setup using a wireless router setup as a access point for my internet/networking. So that means I have one network cable going to my garage, then the access point connects to two different computers via wireless USB's.

That's where you lost me my friend, I'm not quite sure what is wired to what using what?

An example

Computer A
Computer B
Computer C
Wireless Router
Laser

PC A is connected to the Wireless Router via a hardline (either USB or Cat5 Patch Cable depending on type) That will allow PC A to modify any settings on the router.
PC B is connected to the Wireless Router using wireless to get internet access and access to the files on the other two computers.(it shows one connection in "Network Settings")
PC C is connected to the Wireless Router using wireless to get internet access and access to the files on the other two computers, it is also connected to the Laser via Cat5 Crossover cable to control the laser.(it shows two connections in Network Settings)

That sound right?

If you try to link the Laser Via a Crossover cable to a socket on the Wireless Router it won't work, it requires a patch cable.(crossovers are only used between terminal connections)

cheers

Dave

Norm Zurawski
08-20-2013, 5:18 PM
I chatted with Epilog today on another issue. Then we talked about my crossover cable. He had me running in minutes, knew his stuff. Basically some settings on the engraver needed to be set to all 0's.