PDA

View Full Version : My very first (completed) turning

Greg A Jones
08-16-2013, 5:34 PM
Took me about 4 tries to get one completed without it breaking while working on the handle.
7.5" x 1" plain ole pine. Sanded to 240. Learned a very valuable lesson about a) controlling the tool (see the miniature rib -- muscle twitch with a parting tool too close to the work--I left it on there to remind myself about tool control) and b) stopping the lathe and doing an inspection before parting off. I found my sanding between the ribs was pretty bad. Comments are welcome.

Dennis Ford
08-16-2013, 6:37 PM
It looks great for a first piece. Actually it is better than that.
I have one suggestion that may or may not apply to you:
When starting out, making lots of stuff may be more helpful than obsessing about getting one perfect.

Dan Case LR
08-16-2013, 6:39 PM
Only 4 tries? Not bad. I'm still finding pieces of my first few "UFOs" (as my daughter calls them) under things in the shop. Now that you know you can complete a turning, enjoy the moment and then start another one.

It's great that you're learning from your mistakes. That shows growth, and growth is good! And yes, everything looks better when it's spinning. You'll do better on your next project.

D.

Greg A Jones
08-16-2013, 6:47 PM
Thanks
Just took me a while to figure out where the break point on the handles is. 1/4 to 5/16" on pine is pretty much it - at least for my clod hopper technique.

@ Dan. I remember (way back....) when Doc Holder the shop teacher was trying to teach us to nail oak (or making a point about pilot holes). Got used to dodging projectiles. And I still haven't found all the parts from the three. :confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-16-2013, 7:25 PM
Greg.....Nice first project!

Steve Mawson
08-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Great start, yes you do get better with practice. Keep some of those first ones so you can see you are getting better.

Thomas Canfield
08-16-2013, 10:27 PM
NIce job. Pine can make one a better turner since it can be so hard to work with. I have to admit that I never finished my first honey dipper and went on to bowls and other forms. Working out some tool handling and techniques on spindles does make you a better turner when you go to bowls later. You will also be surprised when you work with some better woods also.

Greg A Jones
08-16-2013, 10:45 PM
NIce job. Pine can make one a better turner since it can be so hard to work with. I have to admit that I never finished my first honey dipper and went on to bowls and other forms. Working out some tool handling and techniques on spindles does make you a better turner when you go to bowls later. You will also be surprised when you work with some better woods also .

Thanks (to all).
I chose pine for that very reason. It is so soft that I "think" it makes me learn a soft touch in delicate areas. One little twitch and....well you can see the pic..... It is also teaching me about keeping the piece balanced as I work my down to narrow diameters and the effects of excess vibration on a thin shaft when I try to take too much at a time.
I started an ash mallet this evening and, yes, the difference is pretty stark.

Richard Madden
08-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Greg, I tip my hat to you for completing your first project so well and in only 4 tries. Stick with it...be safe, and have fun. Learning from your mistakes is what it's all about. It will get better and better.

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Great first project.

Greg A Jones
08-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks. I'm looking forward to actually becoming competent and able to produce things I'd be proud for others to own.