PDA

View Full Version : Wet or dry when flattening a ceramic stone?

Robert McNaull
08-16-2013, 8:55 AM
I have a sigma 1200 and 8000 and a dmt diamond plate. Should I apply water when flattening and soak the 1200 ahead of time like you would a water stone or do you flatten dry? The 8000 will be dry unless a spritz some water on it as it doesn't soak. Also is there any effects of the flattening process such as glazing that I should be aware of in the process to not overdo or ruin a stone?

David Weaver
08-16-2013, 8:57 AM
You can do it either way, but it's easier to deal with the swarf if the stone is wet, and it's probably better to keep the swarf wet so that you don't end up breathing it.

Make sure you clean off your diamond hone when you're done. The swarf can dry on it and basically the only way you'll get it off then is to scrub or wait for it to work its way off with use of the stone.

You're loosening particles on the stone surface, so you don't have to worry about overworking it. All working it more than you need to work it will do is waste off more of the stone than you need to. A fresh surface is a fresh surface, though.

george wilson
08-16-2013, 1:44 PM
Definitely wet.

Robert McNaull
08-16-2013, 5:32 PM
Thanks guys, going to be fun weekend.