PDA

View Full Version : Engraving plastic to overlay keys ?

Steve Ducote
08-15-2013, 9:56 PM
Hi,

I have a K40 type laser that I've converted to DSP control and a Z table and have learned a lot using it. Too small but has been worth it to learn on and been enjoyable. I plan to upgrade soon.

I have a CNC mill and CNC router that I'm building new control panels for. I would like to overlay buttons on some keypads I have so they show the CNC functions I assign to them. Which brings me to my question.

Would a plastic film like this bfplasticsinc.com/ProPen-ADA.htm be good to use ?

I'd like to use black and laser white on them then, apply them to the keys.

Thanks for any advice,

Steve

Mike Null
08-16-2013, 6:34 AM
Steve

Welcome to SMC. I don't believe that material will work for the job you have. I'm quite sure it will engrave to its base color (black to black).

I would look for a reverse engravable material which has black on the back. You then engrave and do a white colorfill. I have not seen this material less than .060" though so that may be an issue. The supplier you have linked to will have the reverse engravable material as will many other plastics suppliers.

I have even bought clear acrylic, painted the back, engraved it, then painted the engraving with a contrasting color as shown in the second picture.

Here's what it looks like white to black reverse engraved.

268634 268635

Steve Ducote
08-16-2013, 9:16 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome and your reply. That's beautiful work !

I have done some reverse engraving on 1/8" and 1/4" cast acrylic, painted black first. I've also lasered through blue tape then painted with good results.

I'm considering a couple of methods, even removing the keys, spray painting to cover the existing characters then blue tape, laser and color fill and remove tape.

I was considering this product also, seems like it may work (?) http://www.inoplas.com/products/lasershop/laserUltraThins.asp

Please let me know if you think of any other product or method that may work good for this.

Best,

Steve

Rodne Gold
08-17-2013, 2:59 AM
Use spectrum light materials (I think from rowmark) , its self adhesive and VERY thin
http://php.jdsindustries.com/JDS_SITE/site1.php?D3ID=404&D2ID=5&D1ID=1&D1DESC=Engraving+Materials+%26amp%3B+Supplies&D2DESC=Plastic&D3DESC=Rowmark+Spectrum+Lights&SITE=SITE3&MENU2=MENU2

Mike Null
08-17-2013, 6:26 AM
The IPI material will work as well.

Steve Ducote
08-17-2013, 6:31 PM
Thank you both,

I've ordered the IPI UltraThins stuff to start with (because of price). I got a sheet of Black/White and a sheet of White/Black.

I'll post some pics of my test engraves as soon as it comes in.

Thanks again,

Steve

Wes Mitchell
08-19-2013, 11:48 AM
If you find the UltraThins don't work, you can give Rowmark's new UltraGrave a shot - it comes in a .010.