PDA

View Full Version : A Stanley A18

Judson Green
08-15-2013, 8:12 PM
So last Thursday I was out getting my hair cut and on the way home I spied a sign for a rummage sale and of course I have to check it out. Not too many woodworking tools but a few. And there she was quietly oxidizing. After trying to negotiate a fairer price on a really rusty No. 3 and failed. Thought it best to pay the man for the A18 and boogie.

Unfortunately she looks not only like she was stored in a barn but under the manure in the barn. Oddly she’s missing the washer looking thing and the rivet that goes on the blade steerer and most of her plating. Maybe someone exchanged lateral adjusters.

So far I’ve only cleaned it with a toothbrush and oiled it down. Any thoughts? I’ve check out many threads about cleaning up planes to use but what about cleaning up a non-user?

Or put her back together and give her a place on the shelf?

Jim Koepke
08-16-2013, 3:02 AM
Stanley,

Welcome to the Creek. Where the heck is the "cheddar curtain?" I like mine sharp, very sharp.

That looks to be more of a collector plane than a user. Not sure if a re-nickeling is the way to go or not since I am not a collector.

jtk

Chris Griggs
08-16-2013, 6:06 AM
Stanley,

Where the heck is the "cheddar curtain?"

I'm guessing Wisconsin? Somewhere in or near Green Bay.

Tony Zaffuto
08-16-2013, 6:36 AM
Clean & put on the shelf. I've accumulated more than a few Stanley aluminum planes and they are more curios than users! For the condition of the knuckle-cap, I'm surprised the body is pitted terribly! Paying for re-nickelying will probably cost you more than the plane is worth. If you want it to "look nice" look for a regular 18 and swap out parts, or simply buff the knuckle-cap to shine.

Judson Green
08-16-2013, 9:27 AM
Yes to Wisconsin but about a half hour drive north of Milwaukee.

Tony,
Thanks for input. Any suggestions on cleaning up the aluminum body? There's a bit of denting around the toe, what appears to be paint on the sole (not painted but rather like someone was planing something painted) and what can only be identified as crud. With its cast iron sister I attacked her with a little bar keepers friend and a fine Scotch bright pad. Is this OK with the fairer one? What about maybe sanding the sole and sides flat?

Tony Zaffuto
08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes to Wisconsin but about a half hour drive north of Milwaukee.

Tony,
Thanks for input. Any suggestions on cleaning up the aluminum body? There's a bit of denting around the toe, what appears to be paint on the sole (not painted but rather like someone was planing something painted) and what can only be identified as crud. With its cast iron sister I attacked her with a little bar keepers friend and a fine Scotch bright pad. Is this OK with the fairer one? What about maybe sanding the sole and sides flat?

IF I clean a plane, it is generally with warm, soapy water with a stiff brush (Bar Keepers Friend & Scotch pad should be fine). Nothing more, nothing less. If course you have to have the plane disassembled! There is some value (not a lot of value!) in the A18, however, if you scrape and/or file out the dents, or sand/file the sole, you will be negating said value.

Keep in mind the reason these were only made a short time: they were problematic in use! Aluminum is said to leave dark streaks on wood when used in the soles of planes (I have never tried an aluminum plane). It's yours to either use or put on the shelf.

Judson Green
08-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks. Don't plan to use it. Guess I'll just clean the rust off as best I can without going over board and retire her.

Lonnie Gallaher
08-16-2013, 1:22 PM
The disk for the lateral adjuster can be made by cutting a piece from a bolt or round bar. I had to replace the one on a 19 1/2 Stanley that had been ground to allow for use of a worn out blade.

Judson Green
08-16-2013, 3:07 PM
The disk for the lateral adjuster can be made by cutting a piece from a bolt or round bar. I had to replace the one on a 19 1/2 Stanley that had been ground to allow for use of a worn out blade.

OK thanks but I'm probably just going to clean the rust off a bit and shelf it.

steven c newman
08-17-2013, 9:46 AM
nhplaneparts has those adjusters and they have them complete with the washer, and bolt. Looking at buying one for a Stanley #18-1/4 I am rebuilding...

Judson Green
08-17-2013, 11:28 AM
nhplaneparts has those adjusters and they have them complete with the washer, and bolt. Looking at buying one for a Stanley #18-1/4 I am rebuilding...

Thanks for the info.