PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel proof Screen?

Russ Filtz
05-26-2005, 9:49 PM
I've got some squirrels in the attic and I believe they came in through holes in the ridge-vent bird screening. Once I get them out, what can I use to keep them out? I assume normal window screening is no good and probably not chicken wire either. What about stapling some chain link fence sections up there or can they squeeze through that? Any other suggestions?

P.S. I live in the city, so a shotgun won't work either!

Bart Leetch
05-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Get some 1/4" hardware cloth. Ortherwise known a 1/4" rabbit wire. Use a stapler to fasten it on.

Ken Garlock
05-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Chain link is much to coarse. We have seen full grown rabbits squeeze through our chain link fence. It seems to me that 1/4 inch hardware cloth would do the job.

Tony Falotico
05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
What about stapling some chain link fence sections up there or can they squeeze through that? Any other suggestions?

Chain link fence seems excessive, I'd try some welded wire mesh with 1/4" or 1/2" grids. Be a lot lighter and much easier to cut and work with.

EDIT: I called it welded wire mesh, but Bart and Ken's terminology is more common, same stuff I'm talking about. Guess we all posted at once!

Harry Goodwin
05-27-2005, 4:04 PM
My kids ran the creatures out of the attic with a piece of hose or maybe rubber snake. They must be kept out because the learn it's a ruse. The hardware cloth suggeted sounds effective. Harry