PDA

View Full Version : Winged bowl

Dennis Ford
08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
This is a somewhat unusually shaped winged bowl, I am calling it "Final Approach". This is a combined picture of the top and the bottom. The finish is lacquer and is not yet buffed out (just sprayed it today). Wood is "Planera Aquatica"; usually called "Water Elm". It is about 13 inches across. Comments and critiques welcome.

Thomas Canfield
08-14-2013, 10:22 PM
That is a different shape and does bring to mind a stealth bomber. The little feet and undercut on bottom are also interesting. I like it and can only imagine what it looks like up close. Makes the simple flat wings look pretty simple.

charlie knighton
08-15-2013, 4:09 AM
very nice Dennis, the non-square shape is appealing and adds a new demimsion to your turning, like at high speed a little vibration
hope you continue this vein , look for your future stuff.....pretty wood

Michelle Rich
08-15-2013, 5:38 AM
the "free-form" shape & the wood contrast really make this quite a stunner..I love it

Bill Hensley
08-15-2013, 7:01 AM
Don't you just love the thrill of a odd shaped piece of wood whirling around in your face at 800 rpms?

Well done, everything about it makes it unique.

Billy Tallant
08-15-2013, 8:46 AM
Free form shape looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice Dennis. Love the form.

Pat Scott
08-15-2013, 4:09 PM
I like it, but the feet don't do anything for me. They seem out of place and don't belong. Maybe if they were a different shape (cone shaped maybe?).

I've got a piece of Box Elder waiting for me to do something similar. Your piece is what I've had in mind for it all along (minus the feet!) :)