PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Gum, is it worth saving?

Mike Holbrook
08-14-2013, 4:12 PM
I have been sawing up a large Sweet Gum that came down root ball and all during all the rain. It is about 18" diameter. Has anyone used it that can give me an idea if/what it might be good for, other than fire wood? Yes, I know Chris makes clubs for head correcting fellow posters with it. I will save a big enough piece to make at least one BIG club, bigger than Chris's ;-)

Chris Griggs
08-14-2013, 4:17 PM
That's the 3rd time you've mentioned my name today...

I'm must be getting to you....mwahahahahahahahahah

Can you split it or bandsaw it into boards, and then sticker it. Could make a cool little cabinet or something someday maybe? (this isn't so much a suggestion as a question...I don't know a thing about sweet gum...)

Mike Holbrook
08-14-2013, 4:53 PM
I'm tired of having flash floods every day. My dogs are all going nuts from being locked indoors and so am I, eeeekkk! You may have to put us all out of our misery with your club.

That stuff is heavy. There was 15 + ft of dead straight 18' trunk 3-8' off the ground. I was notching & bore cutting it to keep it from falling on trees I planted or my fence. I dropped it exactly where I wanted it but the straight portion split the entire length of the trunk probably from hanging close to parallel to the ground for a couple weeks. I cut the halves in 3-4' sections thinking I might see if I can cut them on the bandsaw. The problem is even that short they are too heavy to lift. I may quarter those with the chain saw. I may be able to get 3' quarters on the saw. I just did not want to waste the time if the wood is not worth working. I have never heard of anyone using it before but there is tons of it around here. I could at least get some experience harvesting wood so I can harvest some of the black walnut that grows around here.

Joe A Faulkner
08-14-2013, 6:44 PM
You might find this article from the USDA Extension Office out of Purdue University Forestry's Department of interest. : http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-300-W.pdf

John Vernier
08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
I built a staircase out of sweet gum once. This was in a house of 1913, in which all of the original joinery was of sweet gum. It was widely used for millwork up into the 1930s, but it seems to be a forgotten species these days, and difficult to source, although it grows all over the midwest and south as a shade tree - I even saw a lot of it in Los Angeles.

When dry, I found it worked almost as easily as poplar, perhaps a bit harder, but with a very even texture. It has a reputation for moving a lot and checking badly while seasoning - we had to cull a great deal of material in our work. This may be why it is no longer common commercially. The heartwood is very dark, almost like walnut (It used to be marketed as "Satin Walnut"), with lots of colorful streaks, when freshly cut, but it quickly settles down to a reddish amber tone. The sapwood is wide and very light, like the whitest poplar, and I think it used to be sold separately as "Sap Gum".

I thought it was an attractive wood to work with, and if you feel up to milling and seasoning the stuff, I would give it a go. If you are looking for someone to take some of it, check if there are any restoration carpenters in your area who want it, as it never seems to be available when you need it.

Dan Hintz
08-16-2013, 10:46 AM
If you don't want to make flatwork stock out of it, consider donating it to the local turner's club... I would take some of it off of your hands, particularly crotch pieces and such, if you were closer.

jim goddard
08-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Mike
Ive used it and its a good secondary wood. Nothing wrong w/ it at all. Comparable to Poplar exc it doesn't stink when planed.

Robert G Brown
08-16-2013, 3:46 PM
It's good. It is something to play with if you like. The old timers used to build furniture with it. I got a piece (5' x 16" dia) a few years ago from my neighbor. I slabbed it into 2" thick slabs and sticker it. Just last night I re-sawed a third of a slab into 3/8" pieces. Thinking of building a jewelry/valet box for myself.

Mike Holbrook
08-16-2013, 8:44 PM
Great info guys. Joe's link has lots of good info. I have been thinking about buying an Alaskan Chain Saw Mill so I can salvage some of the trees that fall and maybe harvest a Walnut or two. Maybe it is time to just do it. I bought a Husqvarna 562XP chain saw recently that I believe has the power to do this kind of work.

Steve Sheehan
08-16-2013, 10:12 PM
There is a store near me that sells furniture of all types made of sweet gum. Chairs , tables , everything! Nice stuff too.

Robert G Brown
08-17-2013, 1:05 PM
I am sure that your Husqvarna 562XP will do the job. I use a Husqvarna Rancher 455 with an Alaskan Chain Saw Mill. I slabbed only red oak except for that sweet gum. Had to stop occasionally and sharpen the chain which did not take long.

Mike Holbrook
08-17-2013, 2:02 PM
Good info. Robert. Now I am wondering which of the "Alaskan Chain Saw Mills" you used and whether you would buy it again or something different? Also do you use a 20, 24..." blade. I know there are thin kerf chain saw blades and chains out there these days too. I am thinking that once I get something I can get on the bandsaw I can make some lumber.

Greg A Jones
08-17-2013, 3:25 PM
Back in the day, when I worked summers at a local hardwood sawmill, we cut it pretty exclusively for cross ties, bridge timbers, and pallet material. Don't know about now but then that was about the only market for it. I recall it being pretty wet when green and slinging lots of soppy, stringy waste when it hit the big circle saws.

Robert G Brown
08-18-2013, 8:19 AM
Thanks Mike, I bought the Small Mill Log that takes up to an 20 inch bar which is what I have. I bought them at the same time to use together. The cut is 15 and 1/2 inches. I would buy them again but my situation is different from yours. I live in a small town of 50,000 people. I look for 12 to 16 inch diameter wood. Every year there will be a tree or two being cut down in my neighborhood. I will ask for and get some of the wood. Only the sweet gum was too big diameter wise. I had to cut it in half with the chainsaw and then slab the halves. I bought the chainsaw and mill about 8 years ago. I am happy with it. It cuts up to the size of wood that I am comfortable handling alone. I am going to be 64 in few more months.

On the up side, I have not bought any lumber in the past 6 years. On the downside, everything I have made in the past 6 years has been out of red oak. :)

Have fun making lumber Mike.