PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you had any problems with your Hotmail access?

Louis Brandt
08-14-2013, 2:04 PM
Hello,
My wife and I have used Hotmail as our email provider for a few years without problems. Starting about a week ago, we began to receive a new window stating that there was a problem with our Hotmail. It said that we had to enter a "code" to maintain our access. When we entered the "code", it said that was invalid and eventually took us to a screen that wanted other info, including card numbers, etc. We believe that the whole thing is some sort of malware or similar problem. In any case, we finally decided to get a google email account, because we don't think that the Hotmail will ever work again. Have any of you seen such a similar problem with Hotmail?
Thanks,
Louis

Fred LeBail
08-14-2013, 3:51 PM
Yes , you are not alone . I have been having the same problem but being noncomputer savy I have to just wait for them to get their stuff together .

Brian Elfert
08-14-2013, 4:41 PM
Hotmail has been transitioned over to Outlook.com. Have you tried your Hotmail account from Outlook.com?

Louis Brandt
08-14-2013, 4:57 PM
Yes, I know about Outlook. It sounds as if Fred has been having the same problem. Actually, right now, it's working again.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-14-2013, 5:30 PM
I think they are having problems. I've had a hotmail account "forever" and while I can log in with my laptop, my iphone is unable to retrieve mail from hotmail at the moment with "connection to the server failed." errors

Todd Burch
08-14-2013, 6:28 PM
Probably too much NSA traffic on the server.

Louis Brandt
08-15-2013, 4:33 PM
This time, the screen told me that in order to use my hotmail account, I needed to enter a code, and it said that the code would be sent by telephone call. A minute later, our phone rang, and a voice spoke a four digit code. I entered the code, and Hotmail came back up. It didn't ask for any security information, just the code that it sent to our phone. I still don't know whether this was a legitimate process or not.

Todd Burch
08-15-2013, 4:58 PM
So, what you are saying is that, now, HOTMAIL has your personal phone number?

It's probably legit, as far as HOTMAIL is concerned, and now you can be tracked and verified even better than before. Congrats!

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-15-2013, 5:19 PM
Many of the free email programs will ask for your mobile number so they can unlock your password if your account becomes compromised. Whether you choose to use that feature or not is up to you.

Same thing goes with fb and all the data mining they do on every person they come into contact with either by signing up for a fb account or someone using their fb to email you.

Louis, I do think yours was legit. I also think it was not connected to the same outtage I saw with my iphone unable to connect to hotmail's servers. Now, if yours was asking for credit card info or other personal info such as address & birth date, I would be concerned.

Louis Brandt
08-15-2013, 5:26 PM
Well, they already had my phone number. I didn't enter the phone number. The display on the screen had my phone number already on it, and it just asked whether I wanted the "code" sent to that phone number. At this point, it's working ok, so maybe it was legit.

Brian Elfert
08-15-2013, 7:09 PM
Microsoft admitted they had problems yesterday with Outlook.com. Outlook.com is also used for Hotmail accounts now.

Louis Brandt
08-15-2013, 7:26 PM
Thanks to all,
Well, I wasn't aware that Microsoft had admitted that they'd had problems. This strange situation started about a week or so ago. But as I said, at this time, it's ok again.
Louis