PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Dog Fence

Larry Fox
08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
My family has recently acquired a new puppy (boxer if it helps in any way) and I want to install an invisible dog fence and wondered if anyone used them and their experience with them. I know there are several brands out there and am considering a system from Innotek.

Thanks in advance for your time

Joe Angrisani
08-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Read through this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205840-Dog-lead

Stephen Cherry
08-14-2013, 12:56 PM
My neighbor has one, and it does not work for their dogs. I have the evidence to prove it. Also, I've heard that some breeds could not care less. For example, if you beagles smell the right animal, I'm pretty sure that they would take getting zapped every time.

I have seen circumstances where aggressive looking dogs are held back by them though.

Art Mann
08-14-2013, 1:05 PM
I used Innotek with great success with our Border Collie for 15 years before she died of old age. I think you are in a good position because he/she is still a puppy and is short haired. It is much easier to train a dog when it is young than when it is older and already accustomed to roaming. Also, the long hair on some breeds acts as an insulator to prevent the full effect of the shock collar. In the 15 years we used the fence, I recall her getting out maybe 4 or 5 times and most of those were early on before she learned the fence boundaries and what the warning beep meant.

Michael Dedon
08-14-2013, 1:47 PM
We used that brand on five breeds on five acres. Training is the key. Long haired breeds can be a problem at times. Training is very important and the installer should be willing to help with getting that started. If he is not hands on with starting the training then find someone else. It is the heart of the system. The system does work.

Lee Schierer
08-14-2013, 8:45 PM
I have had an Innotek Contain and train system for over 7 years. The collars are rechargeable and last for many years (some of mine are at least 5 years old and still going). The unit has a battery back up so it works even if the power goes off. It has worked very well for our Brittany and for my daughter who has a Keeshond (extremely long dense hair). As noted above, training is the key. You have to train the dog how to respond when it hears the beeping before it ever gets zapped. Innotek provides a very good video with their system that will walk you through the training process. If you follow their procedure the fence will work on your dog. My Brittany can really run and loves chasing birds and the occasional bunny. He will come to a screeching halt right where the fence is even without the collar. There is a guy that walks three high energy dogs past our house on a regular basis. My dog checks them out, but doesn't cross the line where the fence is. Many people assume that their smart pet will figure out what to do when the fence is zapping them and then wonder why the pet doesn't stop when the fence beeps.

I can't over emphasize the need to train the animal to be successful with an underground fence. Be sure to get the lightning protection module with the Innotek fence. It has saved my unit at least once and Innotek replaced the module for free after it was zapped.

Ken Platt
08-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I've had an innotek system for 15 years or so. I'm on my second fence charger; the one I have now is called "Smart Dog". The first worked fine until the wire of the fence got hit by lightning. The charge actually blew the charger right off the wall, that was a bit scary, and really impressively torched the charger. I've had the lightning protection module since, but I also unplug if there's a good storm, so I can't say how effective it is.

Anyhow, I've found it to work very well. I have always tried to train according to the instructions, but mostly it never seemed to work the way the video shows, so I've always ended up letting my dogs- a total of 7 over the years - figure it out, which they have uniformly done after a few zaps.

We have had the occasional run-through, perhaps 5 times over the years. Most times they came back and sat just outside the fence boundary and whined, but wouldn't cross back in. The hair length and thickness is a factor for sure, also if the prongs slip over their regular collar (all out dogs have 2 collars, one regular with their tags and one electronic) then they won't feel the zap. Sometimes the tone is enough, sometimes not. One of my dogs right now somehow is smart enough to know when she can't feel the prongs, and she'll run right out. Reposition her collar so the prongs are against her skin, and she stops right at the line. Go figure.

It's easy to install it yourself if you want, also. You can just lay the wire down right on your lawn, or through the woods, etc. It sort of works it's way down into the grass just fine and disappears.

I love it. It lets me enclose about 4 acres or so for my dogs and have them be safe and no fence to maintain or get in the way.

Ken

Larry Fox
08-16-2013, 6:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will look at the various systems and I appreciate the heads up on the training requirement.

Wade Lippman
08-16-2013, 8:59 PM
I should mention that if you have a tiny yard like I do, you might want to look into genuine Invisible Fence. Theirs won't shock until the dog is 6" past the wire. If not for that my dog wouldn't be able to get into the backyard.

My first dog trained himself in an hour and I was able to take the flags down in 3 days. My second dog (same breed, go figure) still doesn't understand it after 12 years. She knows something bad is out there, but doesn't know where it is, or exactly why it happens. But it seems to keep her away from the property lines, and I guess that is enough.

Mike Cutler
08-16-2013, 9:05 PM
Been using Innotek on and off, no pun intended, since the late 80's.

5 Vizsla's through the years. 3 males and 2 females, and the fence has worked fine. I live right on an inland waterway with just about every varmit and critter native to Connecticut in my backyard, and the dogs have always obeyed the fence.
I also currently have the Contain and Train System by Innotek. Great system, especially for boy dogs. They raise that leg on something they shouldn't, and it's zap time.:eek:,;)

Jake Helmboldt
08-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Larry, congrats on the new boxer. We just had to euthanize our 7 yr old boxer last week due to a brain tumor. Not to rain on your parade, but boxers have the highest incidence of cancer, so something to be aware of. But they are wonderful dogs and we really miss that hard-headed girl. Which brings us to the fence. We have used Dog Watch and have been pleased, but as others noted the key is in the training. Our neighbor loved having our dog visit and would pamper her. So she became conditioned to go through the fence, taking the hit so she could get her lavish treatment. Boxers are smart, but stubborn, but she did great with training. Our previous boxer was essentially perimeter trained, and we didn't even intentionally do it. She simply knew to stay in the yard, at two different houses, unless going out with us. We have a pit mix and she absolutely won't go through the fence. One thing we have been pleased with is their replacement policy on the collar receiver. The pit mix chewed the boxer's collar up while playing roughly and they replaced it, no questions asked. Also ask around about local dealers. I'm not sure about others, but Dog Watch uses franchisees so service quality may vary from one to the next. One other nice feature is that you can adjust the width of the shock zone, as well as the intensity.

Larry Fox
08-17-2013, 1:51 PM
Larry, congrats on the new boxer. We just had to euthanize our 7 yr old boxer last week due to a brain tumor. Not to rain on your parade, but boxers have the highest incidence of cancer, so something to be aware of. .
Sorry to hear about the decision you had to make on your dog Jake - that stinks. This is our second boxer and have been around the breed quite a bit and am aware of all that stuff. Despite all that, getting another was a no-brainier for us. Our first one lasted 14 years and the day I had to put him down was the sadest day I can remember. That was 2 years ago and thinking about it still makes me sad.

Larry Klaaren
08-18-2013, 6:05 PM
I have had two dogs come into the clinic in the last couple weeks that had pretty severe punctures from their invisible fence collar. I don't know the brand of either one. Both of these dogs had a collar that has prongs on the side of the neck. So you have to pay attention to what's going on with the dog besides behavior. I think that most of the time owners are pleased with the fence. Some dogs do learn that if they run through the fence it will only shock for a little bit. One a different note, several people in our neighborhood have these, and when I walk my dog, their dogs run right up to the sidewalk and walk along prancing and barking at full volume, even if I am on the other side of the street. I would not like that if I was a neighbor, because people walk their dogs from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. and even later in this neighborhood. It's really spooky when it is dark and you don't see them coming. I wonder if some owners do less training and socialization because they have the fence. Just my thoughts.

Harry Hagan
08-20-2013, 3:26 PM
Innotek: eight+ years experience with two dogs.

Clarence Martin
08-20-2013, 4:46 PM
Tried the invisable fence years ago , and they just did not work for my dog. Went through all the training and the dog still walked right through the invisable barrier. If the dog slipped it's collar, the fence was no good anyways.

Went out and bought an above ground electric fence for the back yard. He learned not to go near it after biting on the wire a couple of times and getting a good zap !!!

Shawn Christ
08-25-2013, 5:00 PM
Larry, I'm a little late to the discussion but congrats on the new puppy. We rehomed our dog recently so I have a Petsafe IF-100 with a 1/2 acre range that I no longer use. It is a collar and adjustable transmitter system which works pretty well with training on relatively flat yards. If you haven't found a system yet, feel free to send me a PM if interested.

Roger Feeley
08-29-2013, 4:40 PM
We used Invisible Fence with our Cocker Spaniel some years ago and it worked great. But all dogs are different. As I recall, IF offered our money back if it didn't work with our dog. They initially put it in so that if Sandy (the dog) got within range of the wire, there was a tone. If she stayed within range for 1.5 seconds, she got a shock. It didn't take the dog long to figure out that she could pop the clutch and beat that time limit. IF changed out her collar for one that shot first and asked questions later. That fixed it.

We have a wooden fence now. I can tell you that I would sort of rather have the IF. One big advantage with the IF is that the dog doesn't know precisely where the fence is. They don't create those goat paths next to the fence like we have in our back yard.

Another advantage with the IF is that people can't see where you bury the wire. We backed up to some common land and our property was really pretty small. I buried the wire about 50 feet into the common land (heh, heh).

Finally, the IF is based on a big loop of wire. If you take some of that and twist it, it cancels out the radio signal. By creatively twisting, you can allow your dog access to your whole living room except that heirloom rocker.