PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil Question

Lee Schierer
08-13-2013, 8:38 PM
I have a question for those of you who use Watco Danish Oil. I'm using the natural on a cherry entertainment center I am making. The can recommends a wet coating and then 30 minutes later a second coating then 15 minutes later wiping it off. Is this the normal amount you use on a piece of furniture? It just seems too easy to get the total finishing job in two coats.

Sam Stephens
08-13-2013, 9:04 PM
danish oil is an oil-varnish mix (linseed oil and varnish thinned w/ ms), so it's not meant to build a film like straight varnish, shellac, lacquer, etc. It would be gummy if you did build it. Instead, it leaves the "in the wood" feel. Will look great on cherry, imo. Open grained woods tend to weep for several hours or more so you have to come back and wipe it off repeatedly, which shouldn't be an issue for cherry.

Rich Enders
08-13-2013, 9:07 PM
I believe what they refer to as Danish oil is a mixture of tung or linseed oil mixed with varnish, and then thinned with turpentine. Presumably Watco does the same thing.

It is a very easy finish because you sort of flood it on, re-flood the areas that absorb quickly and then just before it starts to tack you wipe it all off. Probably you will want to do the above procedure several times. I have used between three and six coats depending on the amount of wear or handling, but you may be satisfied with the single application recommended on the can.

John TenEyck
08-13-2013, 9:19 PM
Lee, if you call Danish Oil a finish then, yes, you get it in two coats. But if you look at what's in Danish Oil, well, not much besides linseed oil and, maybe, a little varnish. But it does look great on cherry and, as long as it doesn't need any protection from water, drinks, etc., it would work OK on your entertainment center. You can bring up the sheen if desired by waxing the piece a week or so after the Danish Oil. It'll feel silky smooth.

John

Sam Murdoch
08-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Just know that it does not "build up" like a varnish. Once the wood is saturated - maybe 2 but not likely more than 3 coats - you have applied all the Watco that the piece needs. If you want a sheen, wax it as John describes. Otherwise you are finished for a year or two when you might decide to give it a boost with another thin coat. Follow the instructions for the best effect. Let it dry too long and you are in for lots of extra, unnecessary rubbing.

Lee Schierer
08-14-2013, 8:54 PM
You can bring up the sheen if desired by waxing the piece a week or so after the Danish Oil. It'll feel silky smooth.

John

What wax do you use? Johnson paste wax or other?

John TenEyck
08-14-2013, 9:19 PM
What wax do you use? Johnson paste wax or other?

I prefer Butcher's Bowling Alley wax. It's white (clear) and much harder than Johnson's. I used to buy it HD, but haven't seen it there lately. I'm sure you can get it at Amazon.

John

Prashun Patel
08-14-2013, 10:09 PM
In my experience 2 coats isnt enough. It takes about 2 coats to seal the surface then a couple more to get a nice even sheen. Finishing isnt black and white. Its shades of grey with an oilvaarnish blend. You can be 'done' after one coat but it wont look like a patiently applied several coats. I dont mean that glibly.

Rich Enders
08-15-2013, 1:03 AM
I have used Minwax (Dark), and Trewax natural waxes according to the finished color requirements of the project. Both apply easily, and last for years. Application using fine steel wool or fine (white or gray) Scotch Brite pads will help to smooth the surface, and will give a subtle luster.