PDA

View Full Version : My Name is Jim and I am a Rustoholic

Jim Koepke
08-13-2013, 5:58 PM
While recovering from a 15 hour drive (the grandkids were with me and had to make extra stops) down to California, a friend of mine and I went to take his dogs for a walk. Of course this was Saturday and of course there was a yard sale along the way. Didn't really see much until a couple of old planes came into view. One was a plastic handled plane shaped object, the other was a Dunlap made by Millers Falls.

It is the size of a Stanley/Bailey #3.

When I asked how much she asked the man that was standing around. He said $5. I really wasn't interested. After putting it down and looking around some more I asked if she would take $3. She agreed, felt like I couldn't back out at that point, so now I have a new project to work on.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
08-13-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a Paragon Jack plane. I bought it many years ago, in the dark ages for planes. The body, handles, adjustment gear, even the remaining paint.. all the same. Mine is a little longer. I bought mine through Garrett Wade, maybe Millers Falls made planes for GW then? I have mine disassembled for cleaning and tuning too.

I am thinking about making mine into my coarse plane with heavily chamfered edges.

steven c newman
08-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Lets see, I went into a mall like antique store one time, could smell a rusty plane in there, somewhere. Found a jack plane hiding on a bottom shelf, behind some other old junk. Asked around, and bought it for $8. Got it home, and tuned up a Corsair C-5 jack plane. Cambered the decent old iron into an 8" camber, ala The Schwarz. Frog uses a single bolt to hold it, just one in the center. Seems to work very well as a scrub plane.

Lots of rusty old planes come through my shop, some even stay awhile. Seems to be a kind of addicting fun to get these old rusties back to like new.

Chris Hachet
08-14-2013, 2:08 PM
Lets see, I went into a mall like antique store one time, could smell a rusty plane in there, somewhere. Found a jack plane hiding on a bottom shelf, behind some other old junk. Asked around, and bought it for $8. Got it home, and tuned up a Corsair C-5 jack plane. Cambered the decent old iron into an 8" camber, ala The Schwarz. Frog uses a single bolt to hold it, just one in the center. Seems to work very well as a scrub plane.

Lots of rusty old planes come through my shop, some even stay awhile. Seems to be a kind of addicting fun to get these old rusties back to like new. I do not practice plane monogamy, more like plane poly-amory, and my current joy to use is an old Stanley 33, type 7. Still planning on adding the LN #3 in Bronze with a HAF to the fleet...probably with a York pitch.

Jacob Nothstine
08-14-2013, 4:22 PM
I pick up a Millers Falls No 9 at an estate sale the other day for $8.00 I already have a nice smoothing plane, I think I bought it out of habit. 268505 It cleaned up real nice and works just as well as my expensive smoothing plane. 268504

Tim Atkins
08-14-2013, 5:53 PM
Sit down Jim, There is a lot of rustoholic out there. I am just glad you recognize the problem. There is no cure. No matter how many planes you have , and how many times you tell yourself " I will only buy what I need, or don't have" You still find yourself driving a strange plane home. Sometimes sneaking inside while the wife is away. There is nothing worse than a sad lonely Plane, Saw, or Chisel just waiting for someone to pick it up and them home. It is not our fault. We don't find the tools, they find us.