PDA

View Full Version : My First Vintage Handsaw - Disston D-8 Thumbhole Rip

Tom Langiewicz
08-13-2013, 4:20 PM
I scored this new 130 year old Disston D-8 5.5 PPI thumbhole Rip Saw this past weekend for $5.00. This is my first vintage saw. Its far from perfect but the handle looks whole and unrepaired and it has most of its etch still. The medallion looks consistent with the 1880-1888 version. the "8" is inside the "D" on the etch. Some of the tip of the blade is broke off the tooth line measures about 23". Also the etch is practically touching the teeth at the left.

I Ripped 3 1/2" of pine (2x4 building lumber) and also some 5/4 cherry. It cut pretty good but seemed to wander a bit but I'm sure that is 90% me at this point. The rake is almost nothing, I'm guessing between 0 and 3 deg. Unsure of the set. I really like the thumbhole for 2 handed ripping.

I'm sure I'll have questions when it comes to tuning this up but I don't have any sharpening tools or even a saw bench yet so for now enjoy!

David Weaver
08-13-2013, 4:23 PM
It looks like someone definitely loved it. It's my goal to use one of my rip saws that much over my lifetime.

Guarantee despite the plate being used pretty hard that you can probably at some point find a thumbhole rip with a crap handle and a lot of plate left if you ever feel the need. Having the full plate and the weight from it as well as the increase in hang that it creates is of some benefit when using the saw.

David Weaver
08-13-2013, 4:23 PM
(the fact that it's old enough to have the sunken medallion is pretty cool).

Jim Matthews
08-13-2013, 4:29 PM
I've never seen one so frequently sharpened that the tooth line is at the Keystone etching.

This defines "user" saw.
I was coached early on to give saws like this a chance;
they're the ones good enough to get used often, over the course of years.

Beware the bright and shiny vintage saw - there's often a reason they didn't get used much.

David Weaver
08-13-2013, 4:55 PM
I've never seen one so frequently sharpened that the tooth line is at the Keystone etching.

This defines "user" saw.
I was coached early on to give saws like this a chance;
they're the ones good enough to get used often, over the course of years.

Beware the bright and shiny vintage saw - there's often a reason they didn't get used much.

Threw away a disston #7 for that very reason. Shiny with factory teeth in it, didn't say anything untoward on the etch (like metal cutting or any other such thing) and it was as hard as a chisel, maybe harder. Could not be cut by anything other than a vintage US made simonds double cut file (which is not the kind of thing that provides a good sharp finish - and even that file just barely barely slowly filed it). Some enterprising individual had used it until the tips of the teeth were round and cast it off. It found its way into the flea market cycle - someone probably couldn't bear to throw it away because it was too pretty - and then to a dealer and then to me. And after ruining $10 worth of files, into my garbage. Looked great though - bright and shiny! Cost me 70 bucks in the end!

Tom Langiewicz
08-13-2013, 4:59 PM
I love the feel of the 130 +/- year old handle. I have pretty big mitts and it fits them well. The thumbhole is cool. Like said above this thing was used. I always wonder what was built with my old tools and how many people have used them. the fact that over an inch of plate was removed from sharpening and it still cuts respectively with nothing more than wiping some grime off I think is pretty cool. I hope to keep this around so someone can wonder the same things as me about the then 200 year old saw...

Jerry Thompson
08-13-2013, 5:41 PM
I have my father's D8. It was reconditioned and sharpened by a pro. I have used it a few times and when the Fl weather cools down I am going to rip some cherry for a Shaker clock. I can remember my father ripping a long board when he was putting in a new double window in our small house in So Dak.

george wilson
08-13-2013, 7:42 PM
I passed on a GOOD keyhole at a flea market for $12.00. I didn't feel like carrying it back to the car. Back was hurting. Still regret it,though I really didn't need the saw.

Chris Vandiver
08-14-2013, 1:22 AM
The teeth on that saw look to be in very good shape. Probably a well cared for saw and obviously it can do the job.