PDA

View Full Version : Bridge city tool works trammel points, or equivalent

peter gagliardi
08-13-2013, 3:08 PM
I have a friend who saw my Bridge City trammel points, and he is looking for the same or similar. Does anyone know of or if there is a manufacturer making something of this quality- trammel points that are easily set to a scale on a measured bar or scale, short of making one? I am not fully versed on all of the better toolmakers out there. Thanks for any help.
Peter

Mike Wilkins
08-13-2013, 3:39 PM
Don't have a catalog in front of me ( I'm at work) but you could check the Lee Valley catalog. They have a couple of trammel point systems.

Richard McComas
08-13-2013, 3:55 PM
I believe the Bridge City trammel point are out of production. There's a set of Bridge City trammel point for sale on eBay with a "buy it now" price of $390.00. item 370865008523

James Baker SD
08-13-2013, 4:16 PM
Starrett makes a pretty nice set.

Mike Henderson
08-13-2013, 4:18 PM
I see the Starett set on eBay often and at very reasonable prices. There's not that much interest in trammel points.

Mike

peter gagliardi
08-13-2013, 5:05 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I have the Starrett set also, but he likes the way the BCTW one has the precise reading pointer on the built in rule so you don't need another rule to set it. I wasn't sure if anyone else made a similar set . All the others I have seen don't seem to have this rather obvious and well thought out feature.

Rick Lizek
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.m-powertools.com/products/tri-scribes/tri-scribes.htm
How about better for a lot less!
http://www.usshoptools.com/Mobile_web_1/prod_page_level_3_pdf_mobile.asp?mm_level_3_code=% 20170010_195
PEC (made in USA) 48" rule $117. For measuring I stick to the metal working tool suppliers like the above, www.use-enco.com and www.wttool.com

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-15-2013, 9:49 AM
I have a Lee Valley trammel set that I purchased when they first came out, maybe ~20 years ago. It's well made and has been very useful on the rare occasion that I need it.

David Wong
08-15-2013, 7:41 PM
I also have the Lee valley trammel set. The one thing I don't like about it is the way a pencil attaches. The pencil can slip pressure. This occurred to me when I was using a 36 inch beam. With a shorter beam, there should not be any problems.