PDA

View Full Version : Varnish for Hickory for bathroom vanity bottom

Keith Kelly
08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm new to the world of finishing, and have been watching many Wood Whisperer videos to get a grasp of some of the various types & techniques, but I still feel a bit uncertain about a rather simple project and would love some advice.

What I'm trying to seal/finish:
10 hickory boards that I've cut down to approx 22" x 3".
They will be spaced approx 1/2" apart when mounted.
See pics at bottom of post.

End result:
* Not colored any/much. I'd like this to stay pretty natural Hickory color. There is little/no "character" in this hickory (few dark spots) but the grain is very very nice and I'd like to emphasize it if possible.
* If all I achieve is some depth (but maintain a similar color) I'd be thrilled.
* Tolerant to humidity
* Tolerant to minor things being set/dragged on it, like things people keep under an exposed bathroom sink

What I have on hand:
* Poly, polycrylic, lacquer
* Dewaxed shellac (Bulls Eye SealCoat)
* Various oils (linseed, mineral, etc)
* Solvents like denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, etc.
(I've recently purchased the above things after watching some of Marc's videos, and I list them so you have an idea of what I have to work with and mix. If there's something else you think I should have on hand, feel free to tell me. I have a lot of upcoming projects and my primary area of learning will be around the finishing processes)

From way back when, before painting: This is before I ventured into woodworking. Don't judge.

The vanity as it is right now (and has been for months!).

Hickory boards cut, routed, fitted, tweaked, and ready to sand/finish:

They will be spaced 1/2" apart when mounted.

Jim Becker
08-13-2013, 5:00 PM
If you do not want to alter the color of the hickory from whatever it naturally weathers to (yes, wood "weathers" indoors from light, etc.) then a water borne finish will be the "most clear". Virtually all oil-based products will impart some level of amber tone from "some" to "a lot". Lacquer (requires safety concerns to be handled while using) has some slight amber tone to it, but often not as much as oil-based products. Nothing oil-based should be used on the "inside" of the cabinet or the constant off-gassing will impart an odor, especially on fabrics, etc.

Lee Schierer
08-13-2013, 8:36 PM
I recommend Varathane Diamond Floor Finish which is a water based polyurethane. I used it on a maple vanity for a bathroom and it imparted almost no color to the wood and has lasted for more than 7 years so far.
The Diamond floor finish is only available in gallon size the last time I used it.