PDA

View Full Version : So happy to be turning again!

Brian Kent
08-13-2013, 11:17 AM
The lathe is back!

This is a piece of shoestring acacia, which is a gift either from John Keeton or Kathy Marshall (let me know John or Kathy).

This is also the first time I have tried Wood Turners Finish. 6 coats. I love the way it goes on and how easy it is when I want a gloss finish. I'll be looking around to see what is added with more coats.

C & C welcome, as always.

Roger Chandler
08-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Glad to see you at work again spinning things...........and glad you like the WTF..........I like it as well...........it has become on of my go to finishes for wood..........although there are times when I like some less glossy finishes, like a satin rather than gloss.

Brian Kent
08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree, Roger. Most the time I am looking for a satin or even just a smooth wood finish. I usually have used either carnuba wax or dewaxed shellac followed by Maloof oil/wax finish. I am trying other finishes, using a birthday gift card to Rockler. I got some MinWax, Wood Turners Finish, and some lacquer spray.

John Keeton
08-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Brian, that would have been from Kathy, I suspect, as I don't have access to any Acacia and Kathy is the Queen of Acacia!! Pretty result, BTW.

Fred Belknap
08-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Good to see you turning. The acacia really looks nice and the wood turners finish looks great. I tried it and didn't like it very well but right now can't remember why. If you hadn't rocked Delta's boat a little bit no telling how long before you got it fixed.

Prashun Patel
08-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Congrqtulations, Friend. I am happy you are back up. Nice piece, i always like yr finishes flat and round.

The irony of course is that having spent so much effort getting your delta up, you will probably now want to sell it in favor of more cowbell...

Allan Ferguson
08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Really nice work, beautiful wood. I can tell you really like it to. Seven views!

charlie knighton
08-13-2013, 12:42 PM
congratulations on getting the delta fixed....nice bowl.....enjoy your time

robert baccus
08-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Very pretty bowl and the wood is super. On most gloss film finishes it is easy to go back and forth on the gloss. A bit of carnuba and 4/0 s. wool will go to a semi-gloss and a spin with car compound on the lathe and you are back to gloss. Vary the steel wool to vary the gloss and compounds to regloss? it. Maybe 5 minutes. What is in WTF by the way.

Brian Kent
08-13-2013, 11:40 PM
From their website:
WTF is a non-toxic water/oil urethane hybrid

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2013, 9:22 AM
Glad to see ya back turning. Really nice looking bowl and finish.

Kathy Marshall
08-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Congrats on getting the lathe up and running again! I know what it's like to want to turn and not be able to and how good it feels when you finally can!
Nice job on the bowl! Finish looks great!

Brian Kent
08-15-2013, 1:39 AM
And thank you so much, Kathy for the wood. I had saved this piece until I had a little more experience.