PDA

View Full Version : First Segmented Bowl

Dan Case LR
08-12-2013, 9:23 PM
It may not win any awards, but it survived turning without blowing up! My first segmented bowl really IS my first attempt. I kept it simple-- 6" diameter, 12 segments, 5 rings, simple but classic lines. Base and top ring are soft maple, three middle rings are cherry (with the top ring getting into a little sapwood).

Creating this bowl has been such a blast I can't wait to do #2!

D.

Eric Holmquist
08-12-2013, 9:29 PM
My first segmented bowl was a few pieces of 2x4 glued together to make a bowl blank...

A bit more joinery skill evident here...

Well done!

Russell Neyman
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Congratulations, Dan. Looks clean, and the shape is good. (So many segmented turners create odd shapes, and I don't know why!) The thing about segmented projects is that you almost always have sidegrain, so tearout is seldom a big deal. And finding a piece large enough is no obstacle because you simply use more, larger pieces. Again-- nice job.

Robert Speier
08-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice job Dan you're well on your way.

Dan Case LR
08-14-2013, 10:51 AM
(So many segmented turners create odd shapes, and I don't know why!)

The why is simple: "Because we can!"

I'll admit that my non-linear creative side would love to try a few of those odd shapes, just to see if I can. But before I can, I need to learn the more ordinary forms and have a good grasp of the craft. And there's sometimes more true art in basic forms done with flair and style than in those strange twists and turns.

Thanks for the encouragement!

D.

Bill Hensley
08-14-2013, 5:12 PM
Number one looks darn good, look forward to your 2nd.

I haven't taken the segmentation path yet, seems I have a mental barricade.