PDA

View Full Version : Needed....sanding wheel for 12" table saw

dirk martin
08-12-2013, 2:38 PM
I need one of those sanding discs that turn your table saw into a disc sander.
12" Jet saw, with 1" arbor.
I know they exist, but I can't find them.
Can someone help?

dirk martin
08-12-2013, 5:44 PM
Sometimes, it's just too simple.
Someone told me I already have one.
Just glue sand paper to the side of an old 12" blade.
And, grind the teeth off, if they bother me.

Larry Browning
08-12-2013, 5:53 PM
Wouldn't that spin too fast? I have now knowledge of this, it just seems like it would be a problem. I have a shopsmith and the rpm is supposed to be much slower for the sanding disk than the tablesaw.

Charles Taylor
08-12-2013, 6:18 PM
Using an old blade with the teeth still attached doesn't sound like the best idea to me, especially if you're going to have your hands near it. Even grinding them off will probably leave an irregular edge that is nearly as capable of some serious harm at that speed.

Duane Meadows
08-12-2013, 6:33 PM
Have to agree with Chuck. Here, try this...

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.com/product_607_5_8_Hole_Testing_Disc_for_Alignment_of _Radial_Chop_or_Table.html

Bruce Wrenn
08-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Get a 12" steel plywood blade, mount it in the saw backwards. Turn saw on, and use angle grinder to remove teeth, and radius edges. Be sure to clean ALL saw dust from saw before starting, plus turn off dust collector.

Frank Drew
08-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Why not a circular piece of plywood with a one inch hole drilled in the center?

dirk martin
08-13-2013, 2:18 AM
Hmmmm.
I do have a 16" lathe. I could easily make a round piece of plywood on that.
Circular plywood sounds reasonable. I doubt it will flex under slight pressure.
I'll be sanding segmented 1/2 rings.

Joe Kieve
08-13-2013, 7:31 AM
Since you have a lathe, just mount sand paper to the disc on the lathe. You can vary the speed to whatever you need.

David C. Roseman
08-13-2013, 8:03 AM
I'd second the use of your lathe for this. It can be done on the TS, sure, but I wouldn't want abrasive sanding grit down in the innards of my saw. Or even on the cast-iron table.

David

dirk martin
08-14-2013, 1:07 AM
Since you have a lathe, just mount sand paper to the disc on the lathe. You can vary the speed to whatever you need.

Yes, but it's critical that the wood I'm sanding, be exactly 90 degrees to the sanding wheel. With the table saw, I simply lay the wood on the table top, and bring it into the sand paper.
On the lathe, I don't have such a flat table....

Duane Meadows
08-14-2013, 7:09 AM
Yes, but it's critical that the wood I'm sanding, be exactly 90 degrees to the sanding wheel. With the table saw, I simply lay the wood on the table top, and bring it into the sand paper.

This will solve both problems... keep the grit of your saw and sand square.....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Disc-Sander/G7297

I know it's a tad more expensive , but... not as much as ruining a good tablesaw!

Bill White
08-14-2013, 11:19 AM
I'd be a little spooked by a plywood wheel spinnin' at table saw speed.

Erik Loza
08-14-2013, 11:32 AM
I'd be a little spooked by a plywood wheel spinnin' at table saw speed.

Ditto, the speed would be my concern. We used to sell sanding sleeves for shaper spindles and you had move the belt to the slowest speed on the pulleys to make that anywhere near useable. Not telling anyone what or what not to do, just sounds sketchy to me. Personally, I would rather use an actual disc sander and then create an extension table or something like that.

Best of luck, whatever you end up doing.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Michael W. Clark
08-14-2013, 11:40 AM

There was a plan in FWW for a rest to set the work at the appropriate angle on the lathe.

I have a Delta 12" disk sander that I dont use if you are interested.

Joe Kieve
08-14-2013, 4:17 PM
Just curious....what are you sanding that must be exactly 90 degrees? If it's pens by chance, I have a solution for that.

dirk martin
08-14-2013, 7:47 PM
Well, I'm liking the idea of using my lathe. I could move the headstock to the end of the bad, and do outboard sanding...at any speed. I like the outboard idea so I could sand 1/2 rings 14 and 16 inches.

I just need to figure a way to make some sort platform, 90 degrees to the bed.....

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Build a table to fit the ways of the lathe. Remember the sanding is done on the front side of lathe, unless lathe is reversible. Key the bottom of table to fit inside ways, add a couple tru bolts, washers and knobs for easy off / on. ShopSmith makes a 12" sanding disk that you mount to an electric motor. Just make sure motor is ball bearing, not sleeve bearing. Woodsmith / ShopNotes has plans for turning lathe into disk sander. Just take a piece of 3/4 baltic birch, band saw out a circle, mount to face plate, and true up edge. Remove from lathe and attach a piece of "Formica" to face of BB. Because you mentioned pieces being exactly 90, steer away from hook and loop. It will tend to round over edges.

Danny Burns
08-15-2013, 3:10 AM
I need one of those sanding discs that turn your table saw into a disc sander.
12" Jet saw, with 1" arbor.
I know they exist, but I can't find them.
Can someone help?
What rpm does your saw operate at?
I ask because the larger the disc, the greater the speed on the outer rim.
Two saws with the same rpm, one 10" and the other 12", the 12" will 1.2 times faster at the outer rim.
Most dedicated stand alone 12" disc sanders turn at 1725 rpm, and most saws are 2 or 3 times that.

Do I smell something burning????:eek:;)

michael flay
08-15-2013, 8:58 PM
Check out Freud I believe they still make a 10" version.

dirk martin
08-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Naaa, scrap the table saw.
Bruce is on to it....Lathe is the way to go.
My lathe is reversable. I need to figure a way to build a table to afix to the ways.