PDA

View Full Version : Where to get parts for PC Model 334 Sander

Lee Schierer
08-12-2013, 1:57 PM
I was using my Porter Cable Model 334 random orbit sander this afternoon when it acted like it was running out of gas, just started running slower and slower and then just quit. After a quick disassembly I've located the problem. The power switch has died. It won't rock on or off anymore and it has no continuity. Where is the best source for replacement parts? I looked at the Porter Cable site and they say the switch is no longer available, but it shows in stock at Sears, eReplacementParts.com and ToolPartsDirect.com. Are there other places I should look?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2013, 2:05 PM
Lee,

I think you covered the big 3 for parts. Ereplacmentparts has been good to me when I used them.

Joe Scharle
08-12-2013, 2:25 PM
Lee,

I think you covered the big 3 for parts. Ereplacmentparts has been good to me when I used them.

+1 for ereplacementparts

Curt Harms
08-13-2013, 8:15 AM
I wonder if whoever owns Porter-Cable these days thinks that by discontinuing replacement parts for relatively recent machines we'll all trot out and buy new DeWalts. If so, I have some bad news for 'em. I have a made-in-USA P-C 7335 5" sander. The thing's a little crude but seems pretty substantial; it'll probably outlive me if some proprietary part doesn't fail.

Lee Schierer
08-13-2013, 7:28 PM
The little switch is actually made by Eaton, but Eaton didn't recognize any of the numbers molded into the side of the switch when I looked there. I suspect that since Porter Cable has changed hands at least once since I purchased my sander that they no longer have inventory of parts as some bean counter with an MBA decided that since they are not required to support their products beyond 10 years that the inventory and staffing to maintain it was not aiding the bottom line of the company and did away with it.

I ordered the parts from eReplacementparts and already have the shipment notification.

Gary Muto
08-15-2013, 3:59 PM
If the switch failed while running, I would suspect something else.

Maybe the armature and/or brushes had failed causing more current draw and overheating. Maybe there is excess friction in the sanding mechanism. You can bypass the switch to verify the motor and drivetrain are OK. Maybe spin the armature to ensure that the bearings and drivetrain operate freely.

FWIW, I think the switch is collateral damage.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Lee Schierer
08-15-2013, 7:43 PM
If the switch failed while running, I would suspect something else.

Maybe the armature and/or brushes had failed causing more current draw and overheating. Maybe there is excess friction in the sanding mechanism. You can bypass the switch to verify the motor and drivetrain are OK. Maybe spin the armature to ensure that the bearings and drivetrain operate freely.

FWIW, I think the switch is collateral damage.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

It was definitely the switch. I checked the brushes and they are in good shape and the armature shows little sign of arcing. The new switch arrived today (2 day delivery from Ereplacementparts) and the sander revved right up. Now I can finish the doors to the entertainment center I'm making.
up when I hit the switch. The old switch would no longer rock back and forth even after I tried to blow it out.

Gary Muto
08-15-2013, 8:55 PM
It was definitely the switch. I checked the brushes and they are in good shape and the armature shows little sign of arcing. The new switch arrived today (2 day delivery from Ereplacementparts) and the sander revved right up. Now I can finish the doors to the entertainment center I'm making.
up when I hit the switch. The old switch would no longer rock back and forth even after I tried to blow it out.
That's great. I'm glad it worked out for you. I have the same sander so I will keep this in mind if/when I have a problem. Thanks for posting the solution.