PDA

View Full Version : Question for you new Gorilla owners

Steve Aiken
05-26-2005, 4:01 PM
I've been reading up the posts about Andy's Dust Gorilla install, and I went back and checked out some of the 2.0 Hp Commercial installations, like Jim's.

I am concerned about the deflection of the mounting brackets. It looks to me like Oneida is using an older 2 Hp Commercial bracket design that was upgraded to a more substantial bracket unit.

For those who have 'mounted the Gorilla' or the 2.0 Hp Commercial unit with the older bracket design.....what is your take on the bracket deflection? I have read Jim's comment about drilling new holes in order to get the blower closer to the wall, which I will do. I am thinking about taking the bracket to a machine shop to have a larger brace welded onto the bracket.

Steve

Jim Becker
05-26-2005, 4:32 PM
My Commercial, as you note, uses the older brackets. I have almost no perceptible sag, mainly because I moved the whole unit as close to the wall as reasonable per my previous comments. That moves the center of gravity back and decreases the moment of force on the brackets...they are essentially "levers" and the farther the weight is out toward the end, the more force they need to absorb. Putting additional support angles should substantially alleviate this issue, but be sure they will not interfere with your inlet in the configuration that you need to have for your particular installation.

JayStPeter
05-26-2005, 4:33 PM
I have the 2HP commercial unit with the older brackets. They do sag a little from the weight of the unit. But, it is pretty solid. Chances are, you might want to drill new holes anyway depending on the orientation you choose. Actually lining up an existing bolt hole gives you limited options if you're trying to fit into a space. From what I understand the Gorilla uses a lighter gauge metal and is lighter than the commercial unit. I would recommend just using the supplied brackets. They're plenty strong.

Jay

Andy London
05-26-2005, 5:30 PM
Even if you drill the holes and move it close to the wall, it still has a deflection. As you are probably aware, it doesn't matter much anyhow as they will hold fine, however, I ran a threaded rod from one of the spare holes in the blower on the far right up through the ceiling and made it level.

Andy

mike malone
05-26-2005, 7:36 PM
I'm with Andy. I intend to run a threaded rod up to a roof joist. When installed the brackets were DEAD level in both directions. With the unit mounted, the downward deflection is 3/8" to 1/2" due to the weight of the Gorilla.
peace
mike

Dan Lyman
05-26-2005, 9:20 PM
I installed it in a corner and did not have a good solid stud to blot into in the very corner, so I added some angle iron on the side wall and tied it to the bracket. It's too heavy to chance a mishap. I have not seen much deflection in this setup...

I also ran a threaded rod from the filter to the ceiling not so much for the sag factor, but because my filter is going to get bumped a lot and when it did get bumped, it shook the entire unit, drun and all. using the ord, things are much more solid

I tend to over do things anyway, but I think the threaded rod is a good compromise for any install.

Dan

Jim McCarty
05-26-2005, 10:57 PM
No deflection here. I might drill a couple of new holes and get it a little closer to the wall, though. Jim

Chris Lee
05-27-2005, 8:07 AM
Mine has minor deflection, maybe 1/2". I intend on adding a threaded rod and connecting it to the ceiling. From what I can tell the deflection is only really caused by the filter. Without the filter mine was dead level. Allthough it is very sturdy.

Chris

Steve Aiken
05-27-2005, 1:09 PM
I was hoping to do the install without threaded rod to the ceiling joist, since I have the living room directly above and methinks the threaded rod would make too good a good path for vibration.

I think I'll do a little more research into adding reinforcement after doing a mock-up of the outlet position (thanks for the tip, Jim).

Steve

Andy London
05-27-2005, 1:29 PM
I was hoping to do the install without threaded rod to the ceiling joist, since I have the living room directly above and methinks the threaded rod would make too good a good path for vibration.

I think I'll do a little more research into adding reinforcement after doing a mock-up of the outlet position (thanks for the tip, Jim).

Steve

There is next to no vibration, at least on mine. You could screw an eye bolt into the ceiling then use (forget the proper name) one of those things used for tightening closes lines to lift it level.....but it's just cosmetic, the brackets are plenty strong enough.

Andy

Bill Lewis
05-27-2005, 5:38 PM
Well this is somewhat out of context for the question, because I welded up my own wall bracket. I used the dimensions in the paperwork to go by, and used 1/8" thk. steel angle (I think 1.5") I gusseted the corners for the "arms". It is extremely strong with no discernable deflection (2 HP comm unit). I don't know the dimensions of the "old style" wall mount, but it could be strengthened if need be. Also the instructions say that you can add additional support to the filter if its needed (for the large filter).