PDA

View Full Version : Best small block plane, your ideas?

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Thank you everyone for all of your help. I am trying to build some better furniture for my family, and my children are old enough to be getting apartments and dorm rooms of their own, so I am going to be busy making sawdust for awhile. You all have helped me greatly in getting my workshop in order and in building better hand tool techniques to get all of this work done. I am interested in adding a premium small block plane to my fleet, and am interested in serious feedback on tools you own and like, and why. And please, let's not let this become another LV vs LN bashing session....I am looking for what you LIKE and DISLKE about whatever particular block plane you use for your work. And I use a small Coffin plane for my standard angle, works perfectly, looking for low angle and probably adjustable mouth. Regards, Chris

David Weaver
08-12-2013, 10:46 AM
LN 60 1/2 if premium is a requirement. Reasons for the like are because it's an easy comfortable size to use and everything works on it exactly as it should. It is defintely made better than stanley's block planes (which are what I use).

Chris Fournier
08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
I have never found an adjustable mouth to be a deal breaker in a block plane so for this reason I'd recommend the LN 102. When properly sharpened it can do anything and it is a perfect fit in the hand, well my hand at least. If you intend to get the biggest bang for your buck and only buy one small block plane, the LN rabbet block plane is very versatile as it is sort of two planes in one. It is my go to site work plane and just as handy in the furniture shop. Try to hold all of the options in your hand and then decide, don't get mired in tool steel choices and then buy the one that suits you best.

Adam Cruea
08-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I've got a little 60 1/2.

It's a seriously useful little feller and I'm happy that I purchased it. The adjustable mouth isn't exactly a requirement, but it's nice to have sometimes.

I don't have huge mitts, but my palm is about 4 inches wide. It fits very comfortably in the palm of my hand.

peter gagliardi
08-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I'll second the LN 102 , I have the bronze version. I moved from the Stanley 60 1/2 to it about 15-20 years ago. While an adjustable mouth is useful, although very rarely, I have never ever missed it. I use my plane nearly every day, and have since i bought it . I have already worn out 2 irons on it in the years I've owned it! It works pretty flawlessly, has almost the same capacity as the 60 1/2 for cut, and is so much more maneuverable and enjoyable in use.
If you told me you were taking all my planes but one, this would be my keeper!

Chris Fournier
08-12-2013, 11:25 AM
The other nice thing about the 102 is that I actually have the horsepower to push that much blade through the work, I don't always with the larger 60 1/2. I work with plenty of gnarly exotics and the 102 never fusses.

Chris Griggs
08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't think this will turn into another LN vs LV argument. Those rarely happen anymore, not sure why that got so intense...that whole thing was pretty stupid and I for one was quite embarrassed that I acted like such a piece of excrement towards Chris F and others in that conversation.

Anyway, I kinda agree with those who are saying get one of the little guys, if your intention is really to use it for *typical* one-handed block plane work. I have the LV LABP (the old style one) and, per my usual "grain of salt" statement have also used the LN 60 1/2, and the smaller apron sized planes. The apron plane be it the LN 102 or LV apron, are just much nicer for one handed trimming, chamfering, flusing, etc...and have a enough space that you can a second hand in there for some extra force no problem. The adjustable mouth ones can do more...like be set up with a high angle blade tight mouth for small smoothing (I never do this though) and the ability to tighten the mouth for end grain is nice as is the extra weight when you need to plow through it, but honestly, for most block plane use I think the smaller ones would be the ones that would get reached for most. If I had an apron size planein my shop I honestly don't know how much use my regular one would get, possible very very little.

BUT anyway all that, said I guess for a first and only block plane getting one of the adjustable mouth ones is a good idea...they are by no means uncomfortable or unwieldy in one hand and they can do more.

As far as the LV LABP Vs the 60 1/2...Well, I have long slender fingers, am used to, and love my LV one, so now when I pick up the LN 60 1/2 it feels wierd to me...BUT I do think for most people the narrower size of the 60 1/2 would be preferred. It just sorta hits the mark of ideally mid sized sized all around block plane. I think for most folks with averaged sized hands the LN 60 1/2 would probably be more comfortable 1-handed than the LV and the LV LABP a little more confortable 2-handed just because there is more to register your rear hand on. They are pretty different feeling planes and they are held a little differently when used one hand. For the LN ones pink and ring fingers tend to wrap underneath a bit, where as with the LV it wide enough that you sort have to grip in the dimples instead of being able to wrap your fingers underneath, so there is more of that feeling like your palming it like a ball.

I do really like my LV LABP a awful lot, find it very comfortable in either one or two hands and like that it has the norris adjuster, but again, since you said "small" block plane I'm somewhat hesitant to recommend it you get it without trying it first, unless you have at least average or probably more like a little larger than average sized hand like I do or unless you will mainly use it 2-handed. I think its a little bit more of love or leave it block plane just because of its size, where as I don't think there is anyone who would find the LN either too big or too small...again its sorta a nice all round size.

The one thing I'll add here having used both the LV and the LN side by side is that in actual use the differences in weight and width and feel are far less noticeable then when you just pick them up and hold them. What i mean by that is if you just had both sitting on a table in front of you and pick each up in one hand and held it over the bench you would likely feel like you had a much better hold on the LN because its narrow enough that your finger can wrap around it BUT in use your not just holding the plane over thin air...you are pushing on wood and the wood is pushing back so the effect of those differences in weight and width are minimized.

Anyway, long story short..I have and am very happy with the LV, but think that in terms of comfort for one-handed use the LN 60 1/2 is probably a good way to go if you can't try before you buy.

EDIT: Sorry for all the rambling, I probably only made things more confusing, I kinda kept changing my mind about what I thought you should do as I was writing....just get the LN 60 1/2, its probably the safest bet...I don't think there is anyone out there who would be unhappy with it where as if you get a 102/apron plane you might wish for an adjustable mouth.

glenn bradley
08-12-2013, 11:36 AM
First let me say that I am LV and LN agnostic. That being said, I have a LV LA Block and do enjoy the adjustable mouth BUT, I use it more as a sort-of #3 with a ball-tail. I also have 3 different irons for it and it has become a surprisingly versatile little tool. I do find the fixed mouth LV "apron plane" (think LN 102) to be a quick goto guy for small tasks at the bench and would not like to be without it.

Gordon Eyre
08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
The LN 60 1/2 is certainly the best block plane I have ever owned. Love it.

Hilton Ralphs
08-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Ok so no chance this thread is getting deleted what with all the affirmative LN comments.

Does anyone consider a Woodriver block a premium plane? There is Quangsheng Low Angle (http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Quangsheng_Low_Angle_Block_Plane.html) that looks very similar to the Woodriver and comes with three blades, ground @ 25, 38 and 50 degrees respectively. This on the surface would seem to be pretty versatile.

Chris Griggs
08-12-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't know if most people around here would call them "premium" but the truth of the matter is that the WR's perform very well. The Quangsheng to the best of my knowledge is the same plane.

BTW...by asking that question you just dramatically increased the chances of this thread going haywire and getting locked. Way to go Hilton;)

David Weaver
08-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Hopefully not. The woodcraft hysteria seems to have (fortunately) blown over. Hilton, if you like the quansheng, get it. Same maker as the WR planes (or the original ones, at least). I've never heard bad about them, though we can't get them here directly - presume also that Woodcraft's rights to market them as WoodRiver has something to do with that.

Chris Griggs
08-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Hopefully not. The woodcraft hysteria seems to have (fortunately) blown over. Hilton, if you like the quansheng, get it. Same maker as the WR planes (or the original ones, at least). I've never heard bad about them, though we can't get them here directly - presume also that Woodcraft's rights to market them as WoodRiver has something to do with that.

Yeah, that hysteria more or less subsided a couple years ago...it was all the "rage" literally, when I first got into the forums so it sorta stuck with me...I should probably stop making jokes about it.

That weird...I just clicked on the link. That plane isn't made with the WR brand anymore as far as I know..WC/WR switched entirely over to the knuckle joint block planes. I assume its still the same maker though just under a different name.

Mike Henderson
08-12-2013, 12:02 PM
I really like knuckle joint planes and therefore like the Stanley 65 with a modern blade. I have an LV PM-V11 blade in mine and it holds up well.

Mike

Hilton Ralphs
08-12-2013, 12:06 PM
BTW...by asking that question you just dramatically increased the chances of this thread going haywire and getting locked. Way to go Hilton;)

I try......

Hilton, if you like the quansheng, get it.
Thanks but I prefer buying from makers that rhyme.

I was just offering an alternative as it sometimes helps to look beyond the horizon.

David Weaver
08-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I try......

Thanks but I prefer buying from makers that rhyme.

In that case, let me introduce you to my new Rap brand of planes :)

Richard Shaefer
08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
also being an agnostic in the plane maker debate (I love that term, I'm totally usurping it) I would ardently recommend finding an original user grade Stanley 60 1/2. I bought one used for what I think was about $35 with the intention of seeing if I liked it and would want to drop larger coin on a LN/LV version. many years later, it still sits in my tool cabinet and gets used everyday. the LN/LV improvements on the little block are nice, but for what you get in the original, widely available, find-it-in-your-grocer's-freezer Stanley block, I just never needed to upgrade. A newer iron might be nice, but the block iron is so small, that the additional thickness I don't think woudl help like it does on the bigger bench planes. And it's not like LN or LV lost any money on my account. The savings just went to other tools ;)

Adam Cruea
08-12-2013, 1:24 PM
While FWW mags aren't something I like to really reference, there was one issue where they did a "block plane" roundup.

They looked at fit, finish, workability and some other things. I believe the "best overall" was the LN, but the "best value" was the LV 60 1/2 version.

Bruce Haugen
08-12-2013, 1:29 PM
Not a naysayer but different from most other folks here, I have the LV NX60 and absolutely love it. It is one precision tool, more like a small smoother than a block plane, and that's how I use it. It has the Norris-type adjuster, screws on either side of the blade to help hold its position, and an adjustable mouth. There's very little slop in the adjuster. Mine came with the A2 blade, takes a wicked edge and holds it well. It's heavy, and that can make a difference at the end of the day. I also have a 60-1/2 dating back to who knows when, surely pre-WW2. It gets used for generic work, but no longer for stuff like adjusting trim, etc.

Paul Saffold
08-12-2013, 1:39 PM
I have the LN rabbet block and it is my least used plane. When I bought it I was thinking dual purpose plane but the mouth is too tight for anything except very very light work. I have the LV and Record low angle adjustable mouth and use and like both of them. Each is setup a bit different, one fine and the other coarse, plus I have a higher angle blade for the LV.

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 1:59 PM
I have never found an adjustable mouth to be a deal breaker in a block plane so for this reason I'd recommend the LN 102. When properly sharpened it can do anything and it is a perfect fit in the hand, well my hand at least. If you intend to get the biggest bang for your buck and only buy one small block plane, the LN rabbet block plane is very versatile as it is sort of two planes in one. It is my go to site work plane and just as handy in the furniture shop. Try to hold all of the options in your hand and then decide, don't get mired in tool steel choices and then buy the one that suits you best.The Rabbit block plane is high on my list, as it could function I think in place of a shoulder plane.

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 2:00 PM
I'll second the LN 102 , I have the bronze version. I moved from the Stanley 60 1/2 to it about 15-20 years ago. While an adjustable mouth is useful, although very rarely, I have never ever missed it. I use my plane nearly every day, and have since i bought it . I have already worn out 2 irons on it in the years I've owned it! It works pretty flawlessly, has almost the same capacity as the 60 1/2 for cut, and is so much more maneuverable and enjoyable in use.
If you told me you were taking all my planes but one, this would be my keeper!I'm thinking in addition to this, as everyone I have talked to loves the 102. I've used it, would just like something with a little more heft.

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 2:01 PM
The other nice thing about the 102 is that I actually have the horsepower to push that much blade through the work, I don't always with the larger 60 1/2. I work with plenty of gnarly exotics and the 102 never fusses.Makes sense, I prefer a #3 to a #4 smoother, and tend to prefer smaller planes in general. Perhaps you just saved me $75 over the Rabbit block from LN.

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 2:02 PM
Ok so no chance this thread is getting deleted what with all the affirmative LN comments.

Does anyone consider a Woodriver block a premium plane? There is Quangsheng Low Angle (http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Quangsheng_Low_Angle_Block_Plane.html) that looks very similar to the Woodriver and comes with three blades, ground @ 25, 38 and 50 degrees respectively. This on the surface would seem to be pretty versatile.I would consider the WR planes fine users, however I want something with an overall more premium feel. For a #4 smoother, $149 to $350 for the LN is a big jump, in block planes not so much of a jump...

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 2:03 PM
I really like knuckle joint planes and therefore like the Stanley 65 with a modern blade. I have an LV PM-V11 blade in mine and it holds up well.

MikeI missed the PM-V11 blades for the block planes, knew they made them for bench planes but not for block planes. Even if I buy a premium plane, methinks an upgrade is in order for my three older Stanleys.

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 2:04 PM
In that case, let me introduce you to my new Rap brand of planes :)Perhaps 50 cent will become your new Icon on this forum, sir?

Chris Hachet
08-12-2013, 2:06 PM
The LN 60 1/2 is certainly the best block plane I have ever owned. Love it.Thanks for the endorsement, I think your making my next tool purchase seem much more rational.

James Conrad
08-12-2013, 2:41 PM
I have and use both the LN 60 1/2 and 102, but if I had to choose just one it would be the 60 1/2 for its universal use. Sure there are planes that can do specific jobs with more ease, but sometimes you just use what you've got at hand. I have done everything from flatten boards to use it as a shooting plane, it has never let me down. It fits well in the hand, adjust easily, has a nice heft and made very very well.

David Weaver
08-12-2013, 3:48 PM
Perhaps 50 cent will become your new Icon on this forum, sir?

Maybe. I couldn't figure out what brand of tools rhymes, so I'll have to introduce one to get hilton's money :)

Tony Wilkins
08-12-2013, 4:44 PM
Maybe. I couldn't figure out what brand of tools rhymes, so I'll have to introduce one to get hilton's money :)

Dave's Shaves but after that I'm blank.

I've been debating whether I need a block plane. I got a small Kanna from Stu that does a great job at most of those chores.

Michael Ray Smith
08-12-2013, 5:17 PM
I love my Veritas Low Angle Block Plane, but it's basically the only block plane I've used, so I can't give you a comparison. Some people don't like the set screws on the sides of the blade, but I do; and if you don't like 'em, you don't have to use 'em. I think I have every accessory LV sells for it: 25, 38, and 50 degree blades, a toothed blade, a chamfer guide (very useful!), a front knob, and a tote. Of course, now that I said that, I look for Rob to come out with something else I can spend my money on.

Lloyd Robins
08-12-2013, 6:09 PM
I really love my LN rabbet block plane. I also have used and love the LN 102. I do not love the Stanley 9-1/2 that I own (I know not a low angle plane). It seems to have adjustment problems.

Chris Fournier
08-12-2013, 8:39 PM
I have the LN rabbet block and it is my least used plane. When I bought it I was thinking dual purpose plane but the mouth is too tight for anything except very very light work. I have the LV and Record low angle adjustable mouth and use and like both of them. Each is setup a bit different, one fine and the other coarse, plus I have a higher angle blade for the LV.

If you find that the mouth is too tight for the work that you do why not take a couple swipes at it with a file and open it up to suit your needs? It's a great plane and 5 minutes of tweaking may turn it into a useful tool for you!

Frederick Skelly
08-12-2013, 9:54 PM
I have the LN 102, in iron. Shes a sweet little thing and it fits into places my Stanley block wont. The fixed mouth challenges me to sharpen often and better. I like the depth adjuster mechanism. It doesnt move AT ALL once set and locked.

I havent tried the Veritas. Ill bet its nice too, knowing Lee Valley.
Fred

Joey Naeger
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
I own the LV Apron plane and LN 9 1/2 block plane. I use both planes daily and consider them excellent. They each fit nicely in the hand and function nicely. Were I to pick one however, it would be the LN. Having an adjustable mouth is indispensable for working small parts. The mouth on the Apron plane is unnecessarily large I think. I've gotten to handle the LV standard angle block plane and find it a little wide for me. They all work though.

Peter Pedisich
08-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I have two LN block planes, but this one still gets used! The blade will get very sharp and stay that way a good long time, and the cheap feeling lever cap "lever" is the only negative.

Stanley low-angle from Home Depot c.1999 ...$36! Made in England

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hCzcCh81AgA/UYWmHX0IOJI/AAAAAAAAB2o/jzeSftB-UKM/s640/IMG_8229.JPG

Jim Leslie
08-12-2013, 10:34 PM
I was all set to get the LN 60 1/2, then had a chance to try a LN 102. I was completely sold on the LN 102. For smaller work especially, I found the kind of tactile feedback and precision I was looking for.

Todd Burch
08-12-2013, 10:50 PM
I love my ancient Stanley 110. Basic. Fits in the my hand good. No frills. Quick to adjust. Can't hurt it. An overachiever when I need it to be.

I have a LN 102 - haven't even used it yet. One day I'll probably drop the Stanley and break it, and then I'll get the white steel, special edition, numbered, LN 102 out and give it a go.

Todd

Jim R Edwards
08-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Another vote for LN 60 1/2R. It's. One of my favorite planes, always on the bench within reach.

Chris Griggs
08-13-2013, 7:02 AM
While FWW mags aren't something I like to really reference, there was one issue where they did a "block plane" roundup.

They looked at fit, finish, workability and some other things. I believe the "best overall" was the LN, but the "best value" was the LV 60 1/2 version.

I just looked up this article...(or the most recent one...could be another I missed). LN 60 1/2, LV DX60, and LV original LABP all tied for best overall. LN 102 got best value....they didn't put the LV apron plane in the comparison which is kinda too bad.

A 3 way tie is kinda funny to me for some reason. Though I get it...I wouldn't want to try an pick a best of those....at this point LN and LV have long since worked any kinks (no idea, if there were ever any) and have their tools so over the top good it would be pretty hard to pick a hands down "best" beyond what feels best in a given individuals hand.

(BTW, This article was a fairly recent one. Come to think of it, I believe there is an older one that Chris Gochnour did where the LN got best overall and the LV got best value. I can't find that one for some reason though.)

Hilton Ralphs
08-13-2013, 7:27 AM
Without a doubt, neither LN nor Veritas make junk tools so trying to put a 1st prize on any of them is a fruitless exercise.

The most versatile is the Veritas Low Angle because of multiple blades and attachments but it's not exactly small so then it's a question of whether or not an adjustable mouth is required (pity this ability is not available on some wives).

If the adjustable mouth is required then look at the LN 60 1/2 or the Veritas DX/NX or Low Angle.

If no adjustable mouth is required then look at the Veritas Apron Plane (very small) or the LN 102.

Adam Cruea
08-13-2013, 7:39 AM
I just looked up this article...(or the most recent one...could be another I missed). LN 60 1/2, LV DX60, and LV original LABP all tied for best overall. LN 102 got best value....they didn't put the LV apron plane in the comparison which is kinda too bad.

A 3 way tie is kinda funny to me for some reason. Though I get it...I wouldn't want to try an pick a best of those....at this point LN and LV have long since worked any kinks (no idea, if there were ever any) and have their tools so over the top good it would be pretty hard to pick a hands down "best" beyond what feels best in a given individuals hand.

(BTW, This article was a fairly recent one. Come to think of it, I believe there is an older one that Chris Gochnour did where the LN got best overall and the LV got best value. I can't find that one for some reason though.)

The article I was referencing is something like 2 years old or so I believe. I wanted a small block plane that I could use for small, small trim jobs because I saw Stanley came back out with their Sweetheart 60 1/2 when I was into Lowe's, so it could be the one you're referencing. I'll have to look at who did the comparison on mine, but now that you mention it, I believe you found the same article I have. When I get home I'll check, though.

I stopped reading FWW after the plane tune-up article from Macdonald. For me, that was just a huge welcome mat for new folks to completely hose up a plane, and the idea that any new plane should need fettling, to me, was preposterous. I have 100 year old Bailey and Bedrock planes that didn't even need a "tune up" to work well.

Adam Cruea
08-13-2013, 7:41 AM
The most versatile is the Veritas Low Angle because of multiple blades and attachments but it's not exactly small so then it's a question of whether or not an adjustable mouth is required (pity this ability is not available on some wives).

*facepalm*

Thanks for that. I almost just spat coffee all over my desk and monitor here at work. :p

Chris Griggs
08-13-2013, 8:08 AM
The article I was referencing is something like 2 years old or so I believe. I wanted a small block plane that I could use for small, small trim jobs because I saw Stanley came back out with their Sweetheart 60 1/2 when I was into Lowe's, so it could be the one you're referencing. I'll have to look at who did the comparison on mine, but now that you mention it, I believe you found the same article I have. When I get home I'll check, though.

I stopped reading FWW after the plane tune-up article from Macdonald. For me, that was just a huge welcome mat for new folks to completely hose up a plane, and the idea that any new plane should need fettling, to me, was preposterous. I have 100 year old Bailey and Bedrock planes that didn't even need a "tune up" to work well.

This one was Mario Rodriguez from Sept/Oct 2012...the Gochnour one is I think was something like 2005...all the publications do pretty much the same test every 5 years so lord knows which one you saw.

Yeah, the Tommy Mac tuneup was an unfortunate article...not only did they have him tune up a plane that didn't need tuning but they had him do it in a way that would make it less flat. Too bad too, because the man is a heck of a woodworker. I had the impression that the article was FWW's idea, not his. I still keep my online subscription though, since I for the most part really don't know what I'm doing its nice to be able to reference it for design and construction ideas.

David Weaver
08-13-2013, 9:25 AM
..all the publications do pretty much the same test every 5 years so lord knows which one you saw.

It's courtesy advertisement for the advertisers, and perfect fodder for a lazy writer. The way the tool reviews go around and around, it's like a no-think rotation.

Derek Cohen
08-13-2013, 9:49 AM
This will get the thread removed ... a review of the LV NX60, with a comparison of these four block planes ... :)

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane_html_67db55fa.jpg

The review is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

Bottom line: they all worked extremely well. If that is all you want, then choose the one you prefer, for whatever reason that is important to you. On the other hand, if ergonomics and adjustments are relevant, then look at the LV DX60 and NX60. They really do more.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hilton Ralphs
08-13-2013, 9:53 AM
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane_html_67db55fa.jpg

The Lie-Nielsen does look like the ugly duckling amongst that lot.

george wilson
08-13-2013, 9:56 AM
I have several block planes,Stanley,LN,LV. I think both LN and LV are making the finest block planes EVER available. The LV NX 60(polished version) is a marvel of careful machining and beautiful design. I got the PM VII blade for it and am really pleased. My only concern is that I am afraid I'll drop it(concrete floor) because it is slippery to hold when my hands are dry(which is most of the time),but I love it!! I also love my LN 601/2 with adjustable mouth. The body casting is thicker than the old Stanley. Machining is very accurately done.

Being a machinist,too,and designer ,though,I have to give the most accolades to LV in the beautiful design and wonderful precision of their NX 60. My sense of design is very pleased with it,and the VII blade is really great!

Derek's well written review of these planes reminded me of the enjoyable features of the new LV NX60.

Chris Griggs
08-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Derek,

Are you ever going to put together that "Compendium of Block Planes"? I think that would be an interesting read.

Its been a while since I read that block plane comparison. It's a good read in its own right. Stuff like ergonomics is tough to communicate. The discussion of the dimples is very good and eye-opening. Reading it really highlighted for me part of why the LABP is comfortable in one hand for me in spite of its girth. Yes i have long fingers, but those 3 dimples really do work well, and it just occurred to me that that is why other block planes feel odd to me now...I'm just soooo used to those dimples. Reading about the shape of the oval dimple in the dx and nx makes me want to try one. I hope LV does a show near me this year so I can play with one [besides the Philadelphia Flower show, they don't bring woodworking tools to that :-(]

(Also, I think the number of block planes and shooting planes you own is bordering on pathological :)...though I suppose there are worse addictions to have)

Curt Putnam
08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
I have and use both the LN bronze 102 and the LV LABP (as well as some Stanley 110s) but I have really craved either the NX or DX version ever since playing with them at the shows. I believe the original question was "small block." That being the case, there really are only two contenders: the LV apron plane and the LN 102. If small block simply means small plane then read Derek's wrapup and pick one.

Chris Griggs
08-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I believe the original question was "small block." That being the case, there really are only two contenders: the LV apron plane and the LN 102. If small block simply means small plane then read Derek's wrapup and pick one.

I beg your pardon...two contenders??? Small options abound:)

You forgot about smaller...

and smallest...

(just ignore me...work is boring this week...)

Derek Cohen
08-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Derek,

Are you ever going to put together that "Compendium of Block Planes"? I think that would be an interesting read.

(Also, I think the number of block planes and shooting planes you own is bordering on pathological :)...though I suppose there are worse addictions to have)

Chris, you just HAD to remind me! :)

My guilt has no boundaries. I will get to the block plans .... one of these days .....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Block%20planes/Blockplanes-all1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Block%20planes/Blockplanes-LNfamily.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Block%20planes/Blockplanes-RecordandStanley.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Peter Pedisich
08-13-2013, 1:51 PM
Gentlemen, Let us not forget the E.C. Emmerich offerings in beech and lignum vitae!

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Adjustable-Block-Plane-by-EC-Emmerich/productinfo/535-0649/

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iJOZSBfGMEg/UgpwHPWSqUI/AAAAAAAACYU/RCnRAq6WvZs/s800/ECE%2520PRIMUS%2520BLOCK.jpg

Judson Green
08-13-2013, 2:07 PM
+1 on the LN 102. One of the first planes I bought maybe 10-15 years ago was the LN 102. Its a simple no frills plane, easy to use one handed. If I was an apron wearer it may very well find a home in the pocket of it. Also have a Stanley 103, the 102 higher pitched sister, (that I picked up recently at a flea market, unfortunately only after cleaning the rust off did I discover a crack in the casting 268428still usable but for only light work) I have it set just for edge easing. The 18 I like but still find myself reaching for the 102. The 110 is kind of neat (don't really use it, it was hand me down) I do like its bigger knob. Not to hijack the thread but has anyone here successfully grafted a larger block plane knob on to smaller block plane?

Haven't tried any of the planes from LV I'm sure they are awesome. I've had my eyes on that skew rabbit block for the longest time, but would most likely be happier with a skew rabbit from them.

Jim Koepke
08-13-2013, 2:56 PM
Just got back from California so here is my 268430.

Chris, I do not recall your location. If you are near the Portland, OR area send me a PM if you would like to give my meager selection a workout.

My Stanley #102 is used often. Not as nice as the LN #102.

My Stanley #65 series planes are both very nice to use but a touch on the large size. My two Stanley #60-1/2 sized planes both still see use alongside my LN #60-1/2. The LN is a bit heavier but does work a touch nicer than the Stanley models.

The adjustable mouth is very handy when working rounded stock. With a wide open mouth the blade may dig in on a convex surface and take too big of a bite. Closing the mouth helps to prevent this.

I am confident that the offerings from LV would also make a fine choice.

My conclusion is if you want something just to break a corner, the #102 is a fine choice. If you want to round over a corner or work a large round object a plane with an adjustable mouth may suite your needs better.

jtk

Steve Beadle
08-13-2013, 3:06 PM
Block Plane Rap (to the tune of “Bad Boys” from the “Cops” show, sort of!)
Block Boys, Block Boys,
Whatcha gonna choose?
Whatcha gonna use?
When they cut for you,
Block Boys, Block Boys!
Whatcha gonna pick?
What’ll do the trick?
When ya shave that stick?
Block Boys, Block Boys
Could ya make the shave?
Would it be your fave?
You can chase a rabbet
You can make a bevel,
But don’t choose too many,
The slope’s slippery as the Devil!
Block Boys, Block Boys!

Hilton Ralphs
08-13-2013, 3:44 PM
Nice Steve!

Adam Cruea
08-13-2013, 3:59 PM
Block Boys, Block Boys,
Whatcha gonna choose?
Whatcha gonna use?
When they cut for you,
Block Boys, Block Boys!
Whatcha gonna pick?
What’ll do the trick?
Block Boys, Block Boys
Could ya make the shave?
Would it be your fave?
You can chase a rabbet
You can make a bevel,
Block Boys, Block Boys!

I actually lol'd reading that.

Well done! :D

Chris Hachet
08-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Block Boys, Block Boys,
Whatcha gonna choose?
Whatcha gonna use?
When they cut for you,
Block Boys, Block Boys!
Whatcha gonna pick?
What’ll do the trick?
Block Boys, Block Boys
Could ya make the shave?
Would it be your fave?
You can chase a rabbet
You can make a bevel,
Block Boys, Block Boys!I love it!

Chris Hachet
08-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Just got back from California so here is my 268430.

Chris, I do not recall your location. If you are near the Portland, OR area send me a PM if you would like to give my meager selection a workout.

My Stanley #102 is used often. Not as nice as the LN #102.

My Stanley #65 series planes are both very nice to use but a touch on the large size. My two Stanley #60-1/2 sized planes both still see use alongside my LN #60-1/2. The LN is a bit heavier but does work a touch nicer than the Stanley models.

The adjustable mouth is very handy when working rounded stock. With a wide open mouth the blade may dig in on a convex surface and take too big of a bite. Closing the mouth helps to prevent this.

I am confident that the offerings from LV would also make a fine choice.

My conclusion is if you want something just to break a corner, the #102 is a fine choice. If you want to round over a corner or work a large round object a plane with an adjustable mouth may suite your needs better.

jtk
I am in Columbus Ohio, Portland would be a bit of a stretch. I am seeing the LN Rabbit plane and the 102/103 twins in my very near future. Will be using them to round corners and touch up all kinds of joinery.

steven c newman
08-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Just picked up a Stanley SW #103 (for a whole dollar bill) and have a Sargent #307 and a #306. The older Stanley 110 still gets used on some things, as well. Beginning to like that little 103, though. Adjuster isn't worn out like some I,ve seen. Easy to adjust...

ps, just up the road from Columbus, Oh.

Prashun Patel
08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
I have both the ln 102 and the veritas apron. You cant go wrong with either. You have to get your hands on an adjustable and a smaller fixed mouth then decide what feels better in your hands. Personally i like the smaller ones because they are more versatile for me on curves and flattening where i want to fair locally without flattening globally.

Both have minimal backlash which is important in a plane that is used for different depth settings frequently. One bad thing abt the veritas is its tapered width on the back. That makes it tricky to use in some side clamping sharpening jigs or in the worksharp under port.

Chris Hachet
08-14-2013, 2:05 PM
Just picked up a Stanley SW #103 (for a whole dollar bill) and have a Sargent #307 and a #306. The older Stanley 110 still gets used on some things, as well. Beginning to like that little 103, though. Adjuster isn't worn out like some I,ve seen. Easy to adjust...

ps, just up the road from Columbus, Oh.Would love to buy you lunch and get together...really trying to lean about woodworking hand tools and their history, etc. I learn something every time I get together with another wood worker.

Joel Goodman
08-14-2013, 2:17 PM
I have both the ln 102 and the veritas apron. You cant go wrong with either. You have to get your hands on an adjustable and a smaller fixed mouth then decide what feels better in your hands. Personally i like the smaller ones because they are more versatile for me on curves and flattening where i want to fair locally without flattening globally.

Both have minimal backlash which is important in a plane that is used for different depth settings frequently. One bad thing abt the veritas is its tapered width on the back. That makes it tricky to use in some side clamping sharpening jigs or in the worksharp under port.

I have a LN 60 1/2, Stanley (UK ) 9 1/2, and LV apron plane with thicker A2 iron. The LN 60 1/2 is technically the best, but the apron plane is the most used. I find that I use a larger bench plane or the apron mostly and the "full size block" is not really needed. I would get the low angle apron from LN or LV. +1 on the no side clamping jig with the LV apron, a small downside. The LV has the "Norris" style adjuster; I believe the LN has no adjuster for angle, only the "in-out" adjuster. I have a LN low angle jack with that setup and it's not an issue. So long story short either apron plane for me -- you will be happy with either.

Dave Cav
08-14-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm coming in a little late to the party, but I really like my old Stanley 60 1/2; I use it all the time, and like some of the others, I do like the adjustable mouth. I have had it forever, and don't remember where I got it or how much I paid for it, but it wasn't much. I must have a good one because I can get the factory Stanley iron insanely sharp, and it does about everything it was intended to do. For things it wasn't intended to do, I use my LV Medium Shoulder, but that's another thread.

steven c newman
08-18-2013, 5:15 PM
I have a sargent made #306 and a #307, to go with a Stanley #110. Recently bought a one dollar block plane, and seem to like it a lot268793aStanley #103

Chris Hachet
08-18-2013, 9:53 PM
I have a sargent made #306 and a #307, to go with a Stanley #110. Recently bought a one dollar block plane, and seem to like it a lot268793aStanley #103
I have three old Stanley's, think I am going to add a LN 102 and an LN rabbit to the mix.

Clay Fails
11-20-2013, 7:39 AM
Makes sense, I prefer a #3 to a #4 smoother, and tend to prefer smaller planes in general. Perhaps you just saved me $75 over the Rabbit block from LN.

Chris, I totally agree with your preference of #3 over #4. I have both, and always seem to reach for the #3. It just feels right to me.

phil harold
11-20-2013, 11:09 AM
doing furneture I think you will need a shoulder plane
so the rabit block plane may be the ticket!!!