PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by Kathy M.

Roger Chandler
08-11-2013, 10:52 PM
I really liked the little padauk bowl Kathy Marshall posted the other day. I have a demo coming up on August 20th to show finishing on the lathe with General Finishes Woodturners Finish.........so I am supposed to have something to demo putting on that finish........

Well, I just could not bring myself on this piece of walnut to take the corners off, so I left them on.......the wood was 12/4 stock, so I made a deeper bowl form than Kathy's, and I did not have time to carve feet on it, so it has just a smidgen of a foot, just for a little rise off the table.

I will have to make another for the demo...............this time with no finish on it, but that is okay. ;)

This one was supposed to have a recess on the bottom, but it broke out on me twice while turning and then I put a smallish tenon on the bottom to hold it in compression mode...........then the tenon cracked and the thing flew off the lathe a total of 3 times! :eek:

I guess there was something about that particular area that must have been weak......although one of those times was my fault, cause I got a catch, while up close to the chuck......and my gouge hit the chuck bounced off it and broke the post on my tool rest! :eek::mad: Thankfully, I have another identical one, and a few aftermarket rests, so no big issue there........cast iron is temperamental!

This is approximately 4-7/8" square and 1-7/8" tall..........comments welcome!

Allan Ferguson
08-12-2013, 7:53 AM
Lucky not to get a tool handle in the teeth. Nice looking bowl. Allan

Rick Markham
08-12-2013, 8:43 AM
That's a proper winged bowl, it's already been on 3 successful flights! :D I never turn recesses so I can't comment on that, I have had lots of black walnut tenons split though! If you get lucky and catch it in time some CA usually fixes it pretty quick. It's a nice bowl Roger, you did a great job of matching the top of the bowl with the bottom, and I like that the wings sweep upward slightly. Must look especially exciting spinning and flying through the air... I'd be afraid to try and catch that one! :eek:

Roger Chandler
08-12-2013, 9:03 AM
Lucky not to get a tool handle in the teeth. Nice looking bowl. Allan

yep! That would not have been good! :eek:

Roger Chandler
08-12-2013, 9:09 AM
That's a proper winged bowl, it's already been on 3 successful flights! :D I never turn recesses so I can't comment on that, I have had lots of black walnut tenons split though! If you get lucky and catch it in time some CA usually fixes it pretty quick. It's a nice bowl Roger, you did a great job of matching the top of the bowl with the bottom, and I like that the wings sweep upward slightly. Must look especially exciting spinning and flying through the air... I'd be afraid to try and catch that one! :eek:

Well.......twice it flew back behind the lathe, and once in front..........I had tailstock support so it was somewhat subdued........and not a total missle! Good idea to keep tailstock support whenever possible! This was kiln dried walnut....but I think the area was a little brittle.......seemed to give way too easily.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Nice looking bowl Roger. That must have been fun with that thing flying around.

Roger Chandler
08-12-2013, 5:25 PM
Nice looking bowl Roger. That must have been fun with that thing flying around.

"Fun" was not quite the word to describe that one, Bernie....:rolleyes:..... But thanks just the same! ;)

Kathy Marshall
08-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Nice job Roger! Glad I could inspire you!