PDA

View Full Version : Workshops and wall coverings

Jerry Bittner
05-26-2005, 2:46 PM
Reading the post about iseass to cover the walls in a workshop, in my new space, one year old now, I chose OBS 7/16' for both the walls and ceiling. I decided against sheetrock for many of the reasons cited plus it would be only a matter of time when I accidently swing a board against it gouging a hole plus the thought of sandig seams left me cold.

An idea that quite frankly I stumbled on was the placement of the outlets. As you can see by the attached photo. rahter than cutting holes for all the outlets, before mounting the OSB, I planed some pine to match the thickness of the OSB and placed the pine in line with the outlets.

Since I installed the OSB by my lonesome, for the upper pieces, this provided a nice ledge to set the OSB on and nail it in place. Also with 9' ceilings, I did not end up with installing a 1' piece.

A coating of Kiltz over the lettering on the OSB and three coats of white eggshell later, it turned out nice I think and bright.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2005, 3:01 PM
Excellent idea and follow through!

Pete Rowley
05-26-2005, 3:22 PM
That's great, I had already decided I was going to add a small panel section over where sockets and wiring are run for easy access - but using pine for that section is a nice touch and actually makes a feature out it.

Thanks for the tip :)

Jim Becker
05-26-2005, 4:57 PM
I really like that idea, Jerry. Very nice!

Greg Mann
05-26-2005, 6:16 PM
That is slick. I have been pondering the fiishing of walls in my shop. I think you have provided an elegant solution. Thank You.

Greg

John Dingman
05-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Jerry,

Now that is a very slick idea! Wish I had seen it before I sheeted my walls :D

John

Garry Smith
05-27-2005, 3:16 PM
Hey Jerry,

That was a slick idea with the pine board, I wish I would have thought of that.

I did my walls which are also 9' with OSB and ended up with a spice on each sheet.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/ShopShots.htm
Garry

http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/InsideShop/ShopShots/WestWall.JPG

Greg Mann
05-27-2005, 3:22 PM
Hey Jerry,

That was a slick idea with the pine board, I wish I would have thought of that.

I did my walls which are also 9' with OSB and ended up with a spice on each sheet.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/ShopShots.htm
Garry

Garry,

As I said above, Jerry's idea is slick, but you sure don't have anything to be ashamed of. That is a beautiful workshop!

Greg

Garry Smith
05-27-2005, 3:38 PM
Garry,

As I said above, Jerry's idea is slick, but you sure don't have anything to be ashamed of. That is a beautiful workshop!

Greg

Thanks Greg,
It's not done inside yet. Maybe by winter.

Bruce Page
05-27-2005, 3:41 PM
Jerry, that is a great idea!

Garry, I still love that downdraft table! What are those features in the ceiling!

Bruce Overholt
05-27-2005, 5:13 PM
I really like what I am seeing in the shop pics posted. Good, practical wallcoverings.
However, I've run into a Building Code issue that could have cost me a lot of money and time.
My township, and many other townships in my area, enforce some of, if not all of the BOCA building codes.
My garage has to be drywalled with fire code drywall based on the fact that a living area exsist directly above it. Then a covering over it is acceptable. In my case I want to run 1/4" Masonite on the lower 4" of the walls to protect from car door dings.
Another issue is Egress. My town ship enforces egress codes an all new framing, and revised exsisting framing.
So although I must, I do like the Idea of fire rated drywall in my garage where my shop sits ajacent to a parked car.
So, my point is, I wish for everyone, that they get the enjoyment out of woodworking they strive for, but take the time to check your local codes. I have seen several garage project torn out just to be able to sell a home.

Bruce Overholt

Jim O'Dell
05-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Great ideas, guys. I'm curious...has anyone investigated Homosote? It is supposed to be fire rated like drywall, plus have a sound deadening (sp?) aspect. I have found that there is a local place that is supposed to carry it. Thought I'd check into the price when I get to the point of the interior work on my remodel. Any one know how it would hold up to being hit with a 2X4?, and how much more expensive it might be? I'm afraid the latter one will be the killer.
Jerry, I also love the idea of the pine board for the electrical area of the wall. Did you make it where it is easily removed for wiring upgrades or additions? Jim.

Jerry Olexa
05-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Terrific idea! Thanks. Good solution!

Kelly C. Hanna
05-28-2005, 9:29 AM
The house we just made an offer on has a stand alone workshop. While touring it the other day I noticed the walls were unpainted OSB. I have never been a fan of the stuff, but there's little choice since it's already been done.

So a question for you guys that have OSB covered shop walls....will the stuff take screws well? Has anyone had any problems with it? I'd like to know what I am in for....

John Dingman
05-28-2005, 9:33 AM
Kelly,

I find osb takes screws quite well. I would not hang a heavy weight cabinet on it without hitting some studs. But I think you will be quite pleased how well it works.

Best Wishes!
John

edit: meant to add, when you paint it, make sure you use a good primer. It will bleed a yellow through if you don't. I already found out that the cheap primer doesn't work :rolleyes: