PDA

View Full Version : The USS BOC 2013

Scott Hackler
08-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Zooming through the seas, the USS Beads of Courage is unstoppable!
This is my donation for the Beads of Courage at SWAT this year. I have been working on this piece for about 2 months, off and on. All parts of the submarine was turned and shaped from local Mulberry. The body, top piece and side pieces were pyro’d to simulate riveted panels. The turbine/propeller/lid was spiral carved, decorated on the end with my NSK Presto and dyed black. It is a snug fit, as to not fall out, but easy to remove for the kid who receives it.
The base was constructed from maple flat stock, painted on the supports and sand/shells and coral glued on. Finally sprayed with rattle can lacquer for a “wet look”.
The sub is 11” long and about 9” at its widest. Finished with WOP.
I encourage everyone going to SWAT to make at least one lidded container/box for a donation. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, just made and donated. I hope my piece brings a smile to a kid that hasn’t had it so good while going through their treatments.
Comments welcome, thanks!

Brian Kent
08-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Wunnerful, wunnerful.

Roger Chandler
08-11-2013, 11:14 PM
That is just grand, Scott! Some child will have a very special keepsake to help the in their fight to gain their health. Very creative!

Rick Markham
08-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Wow! The kid in me is in love with it, how couldn't a child love that! Fantastic work for a fantastic cause Scott.

charlie knighton
08-12-2013, 8:52 AM
good stuff, Scott

Dennis Ford
08-12-2013, 9:34 AM
Good job. I really like the rivets and the sea-floor base. I have a friend who also made a submarine for Beads of Courage, there will be at least two at SWAT.

Scott Hackler
08-12-2013, 9:42 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. A true labor of love. My wife could affirm that I cared more about getting this done than any new pieces of "normal" work, to be taken to SWAT. Good thing is that I was able to multi-task while waitng for finishes to dry and was working on 3-4 things at once!

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Cool piece Scott.

John Aspinall
08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Absolutely wonderful, Scott!
For someone who likes Tin Tin, or perhaps Miyazaki, this brings more than a smile; it brings a great big grin.

Eric Holmquist
08-12-2013, 7:37 PM
Great blend of whimsey and realism, the kid that gets this will have a real treat!

BILL DONAHUE
08-12-2013, 7:47 PM
Really like the piece and the cause. It immediately brought to mind these lyrics from yesteryear:

In the town where I was born
Lived a man who sailed to sea
And he told us of his life
In the land of submarines
So we sailed on to the sun
Till we found a sea of green
And we lived beneath the waves
In our yellow submarine

Kathy Marshall
08-12-2013, 11:25 PM
That looks great Scott! Very imaginative! It's going to make some child very happy!

Steve Mawson
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Great idea and well done. You come up with some very good projects.

Dennis Nagle
08-15-2013, 3:58 PM
As someone who spent time under the ocean, I like it!!!

Thom Sturgill
08-15-2013, 5:22 PM
Late responding to this, but very cool. I'm sure the recipient will love it.

Scott Hackler
08-15-2013, 6:25 PM
Thanks fellas. This piece DIDNT start out as a sub. I really had a mental void and couldn't think of an idea for this years "deluxe" container. I finally thought that maybe a rocket, like the ones in old cartoons, would be a good idea. When shaping the main body, I was looking at the contour of it and thought, "that kinda looks like a submarine", so I changed gears and went the submarine route! This turned out better, in my opinion, than what I had initially planned. So for me and the child who eventually receives it....its a win win!