PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried a Simonds auto body file?

Jim Neeley
08-11-2013, 6:13 PM
I've stumbled onto these online and noted they are made of the auto body repair man (another professional) and wonder if they are any good.

I lucked out last year, finding myself in an old-time hardware store here in Anchorage and, in their files area they had a lot of US Nicholson's that had obviously been on the shelf for many years (hiding behind their large, new stock of Mexico chisel) so I picked up one of each (totaling about a dozen files). I've only used a couple to date and their use has been limited but they performed flawlessly in my use.

Still, I'm curious if there's another potential future source.

Jim in Alaska

Randy Karst
08-11-2013, 6:43 PM
Jim,

Yes, if you mean the Simonds Vixen File. A nice file; the one I ordered, arrived sharp and works nicely. Particularly so when working with mixed mediums i.e... brass (or other non-ferrous metals) and wood in the same project, cuts brass and wood well, smooth transition where the two mediums join. Highly recommended! Leaves a smooth finish on wood, similar to a Float.

george wilson
08-12-2013, 10:25 AM
You need to constantly change angles when using a vixen file,to prevent a pattern of chattering building up. The best "vixen" type files were the Nicholson "super shear" files. They had an offset circular tooth pattern with nicks in their teeth to prevent chattering from starting. They were great files. I found a Simmonds copy several years ago(over 10 years ago,maybe 15). It was just like the Nicholsons. Can't recall where I got it. It was before they went Indian,I'm sure.

Those files were about $40.00 each.