PDA

View Full Version : LED's for lighting acrylic

Walt Langhans
08-11-2013, 3:29 PM
Hey Guys!

I'm about to start messing around with edge lighting transparent color acrylic and wanted to get some advice. I'll be working with 1/8" thick acrylic and where from 2" by 4" to 4" by 6" sizes. I'm familiar with LED but don't have any experience with using them to edge light the acrylic, so a couple of questions.

1/ Is the laser going to do a good enough job cutting the edge to let the light through or am I going to need to flame polish the edge?

2/ What kind of LED viewing angle do I want. Am I better off to go with a narrow angle seeing how I only really want it to go into the acrylic, or does it matter? And on the same line they make LED that are rectangular with a flat edge, would those do better than the typical round LED?

3/ Any other advice or tips about doing this would be appreciated as well :)

Thanks
Walt

Michael Hunter
08-11-2013, 5:48 PM
1/ Should be fine straight from the laser - striations on the edge won't hurt too much, so long as they are shiny.

2/ If using individual ordinary LEDs, go for 3mm flat-top or narrow viewing angle.
Pre-made strips of surface mount LEDs should also be fine, so long as the edge of the acrylic is very close to or touching the LEDs.

3/ Since your pieces are quite small, you should not need many LEDs to get even lighting - perhaps get away with just one.

For mine, I cut an LED-outline-shaped hole in the edge of the acrylic and glued it in - saves having to invent a separate holder.

Walt Langhans
08-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks Michael!

Jim Good
08-12-2013, 3:44 PM
Walt,

Shoot me an email at jim.good@tbe.com or PM me. Maybe I can get you started.

Jim

Mark E Wilson
08-12-2013, 5:29 PM
Extruded acrylic works best as opposed to cast correct? I don't specifically buy acrylic that is made for the application. I use 3/16" and have purchased some pre fab strips that come with a black C channel and just strips on a roll. The strips were a lot cheaper going straight to the manufacturer. Toreshare I think was their name. AliBaba.com is a great resource.

Doug Novic
08-13-2013, 8:07 PM
Good old acrylic from Home Depot.268447