PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a Bridge City Tenonmaker

Mike Leung
08-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Anyone try one of these? Would the Tenonmaker also perform the jobs that the Kerfmaker performs? I cannot tell if the TM measure for tenons and kerfs.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tm-1-tenonmaker.html

Chris Fournier
08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
It is an attractive tool that is over the top! I see absolutely no need to buy or use one unless you are a tool nut, then I can totally understand owning one. Hook rule, dial calipers are plenty and multi-functional.

Mike Henderson
08-11-2013, 1:02 PM
I agree with Chris. It's pretty easy to make tenons. As they say in the page you linked to, most people just make the tenon a bit over size and trim to fit. It takes a bit of time to fit a tenon, but unless time is critical to you, fitting a tenon is an enjoyable process. And if you were aiming at some production process, there are probably better semi-automated ways of making a bunch of tenons that will fit a bunch of mortises that were also made in an automated process.

Mike

Mel Fulks
08-11-2013, 1:41 PM
I don't think I have seen making tenons on table saw mentioned using dado set .Even in commercial shops with tenoners (sometimes double end auto feed) it is used on small jobs. Obviously you have to reference off both sides,rather than one,but if all the material is planed at the same time that's not a big deal. We just use the fence to establish shoulder ,then free hand the rest. To prevent tearout we lift and tilt rail 30 degrees or more and nick closest side before proceeding.Yes, have to be careful.

Rick Fisher
08-11-2013, 6:48 PM
Looks like a neat tool.. I wont buy one but if you feel the urge, let us know what you think ..

I use a shoulder plane to size them now unless there big ..

richard poitras
08-11-2013, 8:18 PM
Would the Tenonmaker also perform the jobs that the Kerfmaker performs?

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tm-1-tenonmaker.html

I was wondering the same thing?

Jordan Lane
08-12-2013, 8:10 AM
i have NEVER used the tenon maker but am an avid fan of the kerfmaker ....simple design and perfect results every time....quick and easy. i would imagine its a similar tool

Mike Cutler
08-12-2013, 10:26 AM
It looks like a nice tool, but then I haven't seen anything from BCTW that wasn't nice.

Mike Henderson
I think the tool will fit a gap between your two examples.
In the production environment the material is usually the same thickness for both members, 4/4, 6/4, 8/4, etc, or machines are setup to deal with an offset, or difference in material thickness. If you only have a few tenons to size for a project, than trimming is quick. I'm not sure about the enjoyable part though. My library shelf projects a few years back had over 700 M&T joints of various types between the two shelf systems. The trimming got a little tedious toward the end. Still though, I understand what you mean. It is a skill that needs to be part of someones knowledge base. ;)
Where I see the benefit of a tool like this is when the various members are of differing thickness and cannot be processed as an assembly line.
I'm currently doing a Greene and Greene kitchen cabinet project and the face frames have three different levels to compliment the cloud motif. Three levels,two offsets for M&T's. Something like this would be handy to go back and forth quickly.

Mike Leung
If the tool works, and I'm sure it does, it's worth the $$$.
Why do I say that;
A Domino, a Leigh FMT or any other M&T jig/setup will cost more than $95.00. Even the shoulder plane to trim the tenons will cost more.

Mike Leung
08-13-2013, 6:19 PM
I'll give the tool a try. I do not have the skills to get the tenons fitting perfectly quickly so I am hoping this tool will help speed things up. Now I cut oversize and then use my rabbeting plane to shave it to fit. When I am not careful, my tenons might become slightly skewed. If this tool will allow me to cut to the exact size tenon needed, I believe my through tenons will look much cleaner without gaps. I know some of you have developed skills to cut perfect through mortise and tenons easily. I hope to get there someday.

Mike Cutler
08-13-2013, 7:29 PM
I'll give the tool a try. I do not have the skills to get the tenons fitting perfectly quickly so I am hoping this tool will help speed things up. Now I cut oversize and then use my rabbeting plane to shave it to fit. When I am not careful, my tenons might become slightly skewed. If this tool will allow me to cut to the exact size tenon needed, I believe my through tenons will look much cleaner without gaps. I know some of you have developed skills to cut perfect through mortise and tenons easily. I hope to get there someday.

Mike

I, like most, make some "extra" stock during the milling process to set the various machine/jigs up for an M&T joint. This jig looks like it should minimize the need to make "test pieces".
I think you're going to like it, and I'd certainly be interested in your impression of the tool.

Mike Cutler