PDA

View Full Version : Lee valley backorders

Randy Kingery
08-11-2013, 8:22 AM
So in the beginning of July during free shipping I ordered a set of veritas chisels and they were back ordered to the end of July. Then I check my status and they were moved to August 20th, and now I checked today and they been moved back again to September 17th. Is this normal? And all of this with no email communication to inform me. I realize they only get so much pm-v11 at one time but come on daddy wants his new toys.

David Weaver
08-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Probably trouble with getting enough of the steel. It's likely it will only ever come from one mill (I'm guessing latrobe specialty steel, but nobody ever tells me yes or no! could be coming from Chicago), and the mills aren't running it continuously, so you have to get in line for them.

It's likely it'll be worth the wait.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-11-2013, 11:02 AM
That's odd, the one time I had something back-ordered from LV, they left a phone message for me to let me know my order was backordered. I'd say phone them up (their phone folks are so nice) but I'm not sure they could tell you more than you already have. Wouldn't hurt, though.

glenn bradley
08-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree on calling for more info. My chisels were shown as "available on" when I ordered them and they showed up on schedule IIRC.

Adam Cruea
08-11-2013, 3:44 PM
I ordered my router plane from them and the fence was on back-order. They were super-communicative with me, even going insofar as to call me and ask if I wanted the router shipped and the fence shipped later.

It didn't end up mattering though; the router and fence ended up coming almost a week after they called me (at about a month before they said it would arrive).

Anyway, the PM-V11 is worth the wait. That stuff gets one keen edge on it and is easier than A2 to work.

Mike Holbrook
08-11-2013, 3:54 PM
I ordered a PM-V11 3/8" and a couple Japanese "Dovetail" Chisels just before the end of the last free shipping offer. I got my chisels within a few business days.

I just checked though, LV is listing all these chisels as out of stock, expected Sept 17. They must have run out right after I bought mine.

Randy Kingery
08-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Well I heard back from lee valley and they were waiting on one size but agreed to send the others and then the last size when it becomes available.

Rob Lee
08-12-2013, 3:38 PM
Well I heard back from lee valley and they were waiting on one size but agreed to send the others and then the last size when it becomes available.

Good to hear Randy....;)

Cheers,

Rob
( on vacation, but never really on vacation.....)

John Sanford
08-17-2013, 12:52 AM
I got a phone call from LV yesterday informing me that the 3/4" chisel in the PM-V11 set was on backorder, and they could send the other 4 to me immediately and the 3/4" in September, or the whole set in September. I told 'em it's hot in the garage, so I'm in no hurry, whichever way they wanted to do it.

I'll be seeing my set in September, and I expect that some other folks who ordered some of the singles will see their singles sooner.

Mike Holbrook
08-17-2013, 8:50 AM
Thanks for that info. John. I had been thinking about adding a 3/4" to the cart I am working on. I think I may wait until the other sizes come out. Interestingly the list of available chisels that came with the 3/8" I got recently includes a 1/8" and 3/16".