PDA

View Full Version : My new baby! Prepare for a "Gloat-nado"!!!

Jason White
08-10-2013, 9:13 PM
Here she is, my new (to me) Unisaw! $850 on Craigslist and I had to rent a trailer to get it home. It's only 5 years old, but I didn't realize what bad shape it was in until I got it home. Basically, the previous owner used it as a workbench and didn't do any basic maintenance on it (lots of rust, everything badly out of adjustment, Biesemeyer fence was damaged and missing parts, etc. I also had to rewire the switch and cut the rails from 52" to 36", but all in all it's a wonderful machine!

I also scored an old Delta DJ-20 jointer from the same guy for $300. That one will take a LOT more work than the Unisaw to get up and running (needs a new belt, new motor bearings, rust removal, has a busted handle, etc.! :eek: Can't wait to get it working, though!

glenn bradley
08-10-2013, 9:32 PM
You ROCK! Congrats.

Stephen Cherry
08-10-2013, 9:32 PM
Great purchases! It's nice to have machines where you can say, " that's money in the bank", rather than, "what was I thinking?".

Joe Kieve
08-11-2013, 8:49 AM
You did good! Got mine off CL a couple of years ago at a bargain. Had to do some work on it but not quite as much as you, rust on top, replaced switch, arbor bearings. Looks like yours is a left tilt...wish mine was.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Sam Layton
08-11-2013, 9:32 AM
Hi Jason, Good job. The saw looks really good. You sure got a good price on both items. Once you get things cleaned up and adjusted, you will have two great machines. You will be making saw dust in no time.

Sam

CPeter James
08-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Check the motor mount in the DJ20. Most of them were installed backwards and they are almost but not quite symmetrical and when installed backwards, the pulley is not able to be snugged up tight to the motor and eventually will start to shake on the shaft. The pulley is a special one with a large hub.

Cpeter

Jason White
08-13-2013, 1:36 AM
Good catch!! Turns out my motor mount is, in fact, on BACKWARDS!! I can't believe somebody was using it like this for 20+ years. :eek: I thought I was losing my mind at first when I tried to make the upper and lower pulleys parallel and couldn't do it. Will be unbolting the motor and flipping the motor mount around tomorrow. Just bought a new link-belt for it, too. Fingers crossed this works!!

Check the motor mount in the DJ20. Most of them were installed backwards and they are almost but not quite symmetrical and when installed backwards, the pulley is not able to be snugged up tight to the motor and eventually will start to shake on the shaft. The pulley is a special one with a large hub.

Cpeter

joe maday
08-13-2013, 6:39 AM
While you have the head apart to replace the bearings....Why not change over to Byrd segmented cutterhead!...You still will have a "Gloat-nado", Good luck with them...super deal!

Jason White
08-13-2013, 3:50 PM
Nah -- too much money. I'm fine with the regular old cutter knives.

Also, I got lucky. The bearings are fine and don't need replacing.

Jason White
08-13-2013, 3:52 PM
So, I unbolted the motor and flipped around both of the motor mounts this morning. Now the pulleys are parallel and the new link belt is on. Runs nice and smooth, now! Thanks again for the tip, CPeter!!

- Jason