PDA

View Full Version : Too Blue?

Toby Bouder
08-10-2013, 7:16 PM
I had heard that box elder was a good wood to dye so this is my first attempt at dyeing a bowl. I applied the dye and when it dried it was very turquoise and almost opaque with very little figure showing through. I wasn't sure what to do but I rubbed in some walnut oil and the blue became much more transparent letting the figure show. I have been getting good reactions from people and it is growing on me now. I guess I like it, for a first try. Not yet signed or buffed but I was taking photos so I did this one too. 4 1/4h x 9 3/4w, 4 or 5 coats of WOP.
Comments, Criticism, or Helpful Hints appreciated.

Greg A Jones
08-10-2013, 7:23 PM
I like it fwiw. But I'm prone to like different. To me the important thing is that it pleases you.

Michelle Rich
08-10-2013, 8:56 PM
Funny, I usually dislike blue for bowls..dunno why.., but this one I like. the color deep enough and the bowl has so many holes & rough edges, that it looks real good to me

Dennis Ford
08-10-2013, 9:05 PM
I like this a lot. You did a great job showing off the great grain patterns.
Be careful when buffing, the wheel might grab an opening and fling the bowl if you are too aggressive.

Mike Cruz
08-10-2013, 9:06 PM
Not a big fan of coloring wood. But sometimes, it simply works. This is one of those exceptions.

charlie knighton
08-10-2013, 9:12 PM
way cool, i have never see blue boxelder, good imagination, it really pops the burl

Thom Sturgill
08-10-2013, 9:27 PM
I am not a fan of bowls with a lot of voids - I probably would have gone for a hollow form which is more of an 'art' piece, but to each his own. I will say the dye job works. With that much figure, losing it initially must have been frustrating. Excellent save on the finish, I look forward to seeing more.

Bill Hensley
08-11-2013, 6:18 AM
I've turned some crappy boxelder but didn't bother to color it, wish I had now. I like this very much.

Ditto on what Dennis said, easy on the buffing.

Now I'm going to go through my stash and see if I have anymore of that crappy boxelder.

Eric Holmquist
08-11-2013, 8:18 AM
I think the color job is just right, it does a great job of highlighting the burl

Toby Bouder
08-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks all for the comments and help. I think I will try another one, but next time I'll mix a weaker solution and put on multiple coats till I get what I like. And maybe it would be smart to try a few sample pieces first too. Sometimes I jump into things without thinking it through.

Jim Burr
08-11-2013, 8:43 PM
I think it works beautifully Toby!! Try Yellow next time...it's my favorite!!

Baxter Smith
08-11-2013, 8:54 PM
I like the color Toby. Not sure I would have said that a couple years ago but ones tastes seem to change with time.

Toby Bouder
08-11-2013, 9:25 PM
I think it works beautifully Toby!! Try Yellow next time...it's my favorite!!

Thanks Jim. I have a nice BE Burl hollow form ready to re-turn maybe I will try it in yellow.

Toby Bouder
08-11-2013, 9:28 PM
I like the color Toby. Not sure I would have said that a couple years ago but ones tastes seem to change with time.
Thanks Baxter. I used to always say 'if it's not wood color it's not wood', but the more colored pieces I see the more they appeal to me.

Tim Rinehart
08-11-2013, 10:06 PM
I like it. Works all around for me. Sign it!