PDA

View Full Version : End vise options for this Bench?

C Scott McDonald
08-10-2013, 3:13 PM
I found this bench on the FWW site and the dimensions will work great for my shop. One thing it lacks is an end vise. I was looking for suggestions on what to get. I could make the top a little longer if need be.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/58250/the-not-so-big-workbench

Thanks,
Scott

Todd Burch
08-10-2013, 3:46 PM
As an aside... @ 1:10 into the video, someone doesn't know a full extension slide from shine-ola.

Bill Haumann
08-10-2013, 4:10 PM
What size things do you plan on needing the end vise for?

Prashun Patel
08-10-2013, 4:23 PM
I think it depends how you want to use the end. If you imagine holding panels and wide boards in place, then a 'real' end vise with some plan for combatting racking is appropriate. If you plan to use the end for working narrower parts, then a tail vise might serve you better.

Last, an alternative that I am considering for my next bench is simply installing two independent 'face' vises on the end, flush respectively to the front and back edges of the bench. While this requires moving two screws to clamp wider things, it has some advantages to a single, wide end vise.

Paul R Miller
08-10-2013, 5:25 PM
I used two wagon vices on this bench. They can easily be made in a day and only cost a few bucks. They are versatile and extremely powerful plus there is no protruding screw and handle to bruise your legs.
have a look. There are links to videos of the vices in action and a sketch up at the bottom of the post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203308-Outside-the-box-work-bench&highlight=

C Scott McDonald
08-10-2013, 8:30 PM
As an aside... @ 1:10 into the video, someone doesn't know a full extension slide from shine-ola.

Funny, I saw that too.

C Scott McDonald
08-10-2013, 8:33 PM
I think it depends how you want to use the end. If you imagine holding panels and wide boards in place, then a 'real' end vise with some plan for combatting racking is appropriate. If you plan to use the end for working narrower parts, then a tail vise might serve you better.

Last, an alternative that I am considering for my next bench is simply installing two independent 'face' vises on the end, flush respectively to the front and back edges of the bench. While this requires moving two screws to clamp wider things, it has some advantages to a single, wide end vise.

I would like something to hold wider boards for flattening and narrow boards to run a smoothing plane on.

Curt Putnam
08-11-2013, 1:39 PM
I intend to use holdfasts with my (soon-to-built) bench so I'll be skipping the drawer boxes underneath. I'm also going to make it a split top since I'm old,fat and have a really bum wheel. The split tops mean that I can manhandle each half and survive the experience. Also means that I can run them through the thickness planer if I rig some infeed and outfeed support. I dithered for a long time considering what, if anything, to put in the end position. Note that nothing (no end vise) is a very viable option. I have decided to use the two 7" QR vises that I already have. I'll put the Wilton the left and the Rockler on the right. I'll be using a Moxon-ish vise, clamped to the front, for panels, DT sawing & such. Dogs in the vise chops and some sorts of stop(s) on the bench will hold any panel for flattening - especially for the cross grain work.

Adam Cruea
08-11-2013, 3:39 PM
I use a 24" Veritas double-screw end vise on my bench and it ended up having a 34" face. Clamps all kind of stuff and works wonderfully.

I also have a Lie-Nielsen 12" face vise. While it is awesome, there is *very* little wiggle-room when drilling and milling in the instructions. With the Veritas, I could fudge a screw-up from my drill press and an idiot maneuver from myself. On the Lie-Nielsen, there was no tolerance there for any fudging whatsoever.

Personally, I'd recommend the Veritas vises. You're not going to bang your head against a wall trying to mount it, it has dual handles (at least the 24" one did), it tolerates racking *very* well, and you can actually disengage the drive from one handle to let it spin freely to purposely rack the vise if needbe. There's also a sheer-pin in case you accidentally clamp down to tight. And again, setup on the Veritas is easy-peasy, super breezy. With the Veritas, for me, it was literally "clamp your face and chop, drill two holes all the way through. Drill pilot holes for mounting purposes. You're done."

[edit]And last, but definitely *not* least, the Veritas is very well made and sturdy. There's a slight issue with drop if you open it all the way, but if I remember right it's got a 12" or 18" opening. . .if you need to open the vise that wide, you need a longer bench. :)

Mike Holbrook
08-11-2013, 7:48 PM
Veritas' newer Quick-Release Sliding Tail Vise. This vise works well on a bench with an apron, easy to do on the bench you are building. It is easy to place dog holes on the side as well as the top of the jaws for this vise. Dog holes on the side of the jaws give you the same clamping ability on the side of the bench as the top. Nice to have the ability to clamp doors & panels to the side of the bench. This is one of the easiest vises to install and hey it is a quick release too!