PDA

View Full Version : What's your saw sharpening setup?

Steve Voigt
08-10-2013, 3:05 PM
I thought it would be good to start a thread that would encourage, not discourage, people from sharpening their saws. So, what's your setup? Pics would be great if you have them.
I'm still a relative novice at saw sharpening, but here's my gear. Saw vise:

268252 268253

Guides:

268254 268255

I haven't used the protractor type of fleam guide. Would love to know if people prefer that, and any other ideas you have.

-Steve

Federico Mena Quintero
08-14-2013, 12:19 AM
My setup is pretty much exactly like yours, Steve. Are the notches on the caul so that saw handles will fit better? Anyway, that's a great idea.

I had fleam lines drawn with a fat marker on my workbench. They disappeared with the latest flattening of the bench :)

Derek Cohen
08-14-2013, 2:22 AM
I have a recent arrival, a Disston 3D.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Sharpening/Saw%20Sharpening/SawVice-Disston3-1_zpsf4adc312.jpg

It is in excellent condition, but I have spent a little time tuning it. The iron internal faces were filed to remove high points, and then suede leather was glued on ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Sharpening/Saw%20Sharpening/SawVice-Disston3-2_zpsf132bb22.jpg

There is no no vibration when filing ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Sharpening/Saw%20Sharpening/SawVice-Disston3-3_zpsb42bf7f9.jpg

Incidentally, there are fittings on the top for what looks like a file guide ... yes? Anyone have photos of what is meant for there?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hilton Ralphs
08-14-2013, 7:00 AM
Incidentally, there are fittings on the top for what looks like a file guide ... yes? Anyone have photos of what is meant for there?

Like this?

Jim Matthews
08-14-2013, 7:09 AM
You mob have better eyesight than I.

Where's your gigantic magnifying glass?
Where are the extra lights?

I put three marks on my Grammercy vise, a perpendicular line in the center, and a line at either end (pointing outward) at 15 degrees.
If I'm filing well, they get covered by fine metal powder before long.

That sharpie marker also paints the teeth black before filing.
That makes fresh, bright steel easy to see.

The toothline is raised to chest height, so I can reach everything without contortions.

No sitting down, on this job for me.

Chris Griggs
08-14-2013, 8:49 AM
2 pieces of 8/4 maple. Sprung slightly...Rabbeted to sit both on and in between my vice chop and bench....Beveled to give clearance for the file.

I use wooden rake and fleam guides (but really want to pick up one of those LV guides), and I have one of those file rolls filled with Grobit Swiss files that LV sells...

268474 268477268476 268475

Mike Holbrook
08-14-2013, 9:28 AM
Gramercy saw vise, Veritas Jointer & Edger, Veritas Handsaw File Holder. Files form Highland Woodworking, TFWW & LV.

My issue is seeing the teeth I am trying to work on. I am searching for a light with magnification. The small magnifying lamp I had could not handle the twisting. The wires apparently broke inside. But maybe this is a different post...

Chris Griggs
08-14-2013, 9:31 AM
Gramercy saw vise, Veritas Jointer & Edger, Veritas Handsaw File Holder. Files form Highland Woodworking, TFWW & LV.

My issue is seeing the teeth I am trying to work on. I am searching for some light with magnification. The small magnifying lamp I had could not handle the twisting. The wires apparently broke inside. But maybe this is a different post...

I have a set of these I put on when I file my smaller toothed saws. They come in a couple different levels of magnification up to 2.5x. I don't remember what mine are 2x I think. I have to lean in a little more than normal to get the magnification in focus, but they are pretty helpful.

http://optical.cvs.com/Accessories/Reading-Glasses/18392/Light-Specs-Reading-Glasses.html?CategoryID=5

Adam Petersen
08-14-2013, 9:58 AM
I have a homemade vise and two of the old cast iron clamp style vises, not Disston 3d's, but they are ok for my DT saws. I basically use a chunk of wood on the end of the file to help hold it, use the Sharpie to mark the teeth, and a piece of paper to mark out angles. I basically learned by reading on it and watching the LN saw sharpening video about 100 times. I will probably try this leather trip that you describe Derek, as I filed my vise faces but still have a bit of a loose spot on each of them. I think I have some scrap leather somewhere.....

I forgot to mention, I do clamp my saw vise to my drill press table and raise it to a comfortable position and use the DP gooseneck lamp to light up my work. It helps me a lot to avoid the neck and back pain.

Hilton Ralphs
08-14-2013, 9:58 AM
I bought an OptiVisor based on prior Creek threads. Optics #5 which has a 2.5x magnification at a working distance of 8 inches. I also bought an LED visor mounted light but this was not the one Donegan was selling (didn't get good reviews on Amazon). Seems pretty solid and I figured my eyes are never going to get better so the OptiVisor will help with other projects.

I also have the Veritas saw file holder and various files sourced from TFWW, Lee Valley and Classic Hand Tools. I bought both saw sets from TFWW and then from Lee Valley an 8inch mill file, Veritas Jointer/Edger and saw file tool roll.