PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #65 modified cutting gauge

Jim Stewart
08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
A few weeks ago there was a thread about favorite cutting gauges. Many opted for the wheel gauge. I made a comment about the Stanley #65 but most ignored that or called it a pin gauge. I decided to post pictures of one that I had modified because a picture is worth a thousand words. Notice the sharp cut line. I marked the board two times using a light stroke. You have such good control with this gauge. It is superior to wheel gauges in control. The modified pin gauge marks with a crisp line with little effort. It typically marks a little deeper which I like as well. Give one a try!

Ignore the first picture. I posted by mistake.

David Weaver
08-10-2013, 1:06 PM
Looks like a nice piece of kit. I hope there's more than one on ebay or we'll have to wait until the thread dies down.

One of my favorite gauges is the first one I ever got, a tight little crown cutting gauge, but that design is better because the triangle design makes it so that it should never have any issues with locking up, nor should it ever be too tight and bind, either.

Alan Schwabacher
08-10-2013, 1:07 PM
I agree. The marking gauges I use most are pin gauges sharpened to a knife edge as described in Tage Frid's books. But people vary in what they like.

Jim Stewart
08-10-2013, 1:19 PM
I forgot to mention that the #65 has a feature that locks the head very firmly so that there is no rocking or wiggle once the gauge is tightened.