PDA

View Full Version : Bilco Door again......

Clarence Martin
08-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Went to air out the basement this Morning and opened all the basement windows and the Bilco doors. Figured with the windows and the doors open, plus the fan turned up on high, I would get better air flow than with just the dehumidifier. As I opened the basement door, I looked on the left side of the concrete wall as it leads up the steps to the Bilco door. Where the Pressure Treated Board that the door rests on meets the concrete basement wall , there is a gap !! There is an opening in the concrete. The Board was cut too short and the rain water that seeps in the ground and is supposed to sink down to the underground drain tile on the outside of the house, ends up finding the first open spot and that is the inch wide gap the whole width of the 2x10.

I figure I have a few ways to fix this.

1. Take the door off , take the short board off and replace with correct length board, reattach door. (A lot of work and don't to go that route! )

2. Fill gap with concrete.

3. Fill gap with Hydrualic cement.

Suggestions????

Clarence Martin
08-10-2013, 2:38 PM
On the plus side of opening all the doors and windows in the basement, the humidity level went down from 90 % to a much more comfortable 60 % !!!

Jay Jolliffe
08-10-2013, 5:01 PM
To do it right i guess I'd replace the short board then you don't have to worry about the fill falling out later...