PDA

View Full Version : Dang! I hate it when I do that…

Kevin Herber
05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
A friend asked me to make a minor repair to a small table. It would have taken only a little while to do it. I had it sitting in the shop while I worked on something else. I was spray painting and the white Rust-oleum overspray got all over the table. Doh!!!

The table is stained and covered with a final protective coat. I don’t have a clue what the final coat is. I suspect it may be poly.

I have very little experience in finishing, none in matching/repairing existing finishes. I am open to all suggestions on how to proceed. Please be as detailed as possible. I did not give much info but I’ll supply as much as I can to your questions.

This is a pretty small table. It would be work but not a huge amount to sand it down and refinish the whole thing. I would like to keep that as a last resort. I do have a pretty good sized area on the bottom that is finished like the rest. I could do tests there to determine the finish type and how to proceed if that helps.

All help greatly appreciated. - Kevin

Ted Shrader
05-26-2005, 1:49 PM
Kevin -

I hate it when that happens. How much paint is on the piece and how close was it to the work you <i>meant</i> to paint? Good news is, over spray is mostly dry when it hits the non-desired surface.

Try some artificial steel wool (white is the finest) and some wax. That may take it right off. If it doesn't, try some mineral spirits or naptha and the artificial steel wool. (Test in an inconspicuous place first.)

Good luck,
Ted

Kevin Herber
05-26-2005, 3:12 PM
Thanks Ted. The piece was about 10 feet away from the sprayer. When you say wax, what type are you referring to? I have some Johnson's paste wax. Is that it? Otherwise I'll get what ever I need. Will naptha change a gloss finish?

Thanks for the timely reply.

-- Kevin

Ted Shrader
05-26-2005, 3:17 PM
Kevin -

I was referring to Johnson's Paste Wax. The thinner won't change the gloss finish, the abrasive used to remove the paint with will.

Ted