PDA

View Full Version : How heavy of a chuck can I use with Mini-lathe

Kelly Oliver
08-10-2013, 8:25 AM
I have the Teckatool Mini Lathe with a 1/2 hp DC motor. The lathe is about 10 years old.

How heavy of a chuck can I safely run on this without wearing on the motor or bearings?

I want to use a chuck that is 4.5 pounds, but I don't want to ruin my motor.

Thanks.

Roger Chandler
08-10-2013, 9:40 AM
If I were you, I would go with the Nova G3 mid sized chuck.........you would be pretty safe there, and have a descent chuck that could be used when you upgrade to a larger lathe later on.............you should be fine with it!

Kelly Oliver
08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
If I were you, I would go with the Nova G3 mid sized chuck.........you would be pretty safe there, and have a descent chuck that could be used when you upgrade to a larger lathe later on.............you should be fine with it!

Thanks. I already have this chuck. My bigger lathe is on loan and so all I have is my small lathe. I was just worried about the weight.

Michael Mills
08-10-2013, 11:38 AM
I am assuming you have the Mercury which came with a 1X8 spindle. The original Comet came with either a 1X8 or 1.25X8 depending on where it was sold.
You don't say what chuck you have but the SN2 is 5+ pounds and Nova states not to use it with lathes having less than 5/8" spindles. My guess is your 4.5 lb chuck with a 1" spindle will cause no problems.
I agree the G3 may be a better fit and still handle anything you want to do.

Thom Sturgill
08-10-2013, 1:26 PM
The difference in weight between the Nova Precision Midi chuck (2.9lbs) and the G3 (3 lbs) is probably not significant while ease of use is. Since you already have that chuck, I'd say you are good to go.