PDA

View Full Version : Old Powermatic planer

Todd Burch
08-09-2013, 11:36 PM
I think this old Powermatic is either a 16", or maybe perhaps an 18" model. I don't have any numbers on in it yet. Anyone know approx. how much it weighs? Or the year model?

I did some snooping around over on OWWM and most models that look like this are 16".

And, what do you reckon it's worth?

Thanks.

Chris Rosenberger
08-10-2013, 9:36 AM
The Powermatic Model 160 16" & Model 180 18" planers look identical in pictures, so it could be either one.
The weight will be around 1500 lbs for the 18". A little less for a 16".
It was built in the late 1960s or early 70s. Although the build year is not really important as very few changes were made to these planers over the time they were built.
It has a solid infeed roll & chipbreaker.
Something to check, is the feed roll bearings. They are not really bearings. They are cast iron blocks with holes drilled through them. They worked perfect as long as they were kept greased.
If they were not greased, it would eat the bearing block & feed roll shafts. You can tell by pushing up on the feed rolls. If the roll moves up & down, then it has problems.
A guess on price would be around $1,000 if it is a 18" & if operational, less if it is a 16".

Todd Burch
08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Awesome - thanks Chris. I'll be picking it up this next week. Well, maybe not "picking it up", but loading it up. I'm looking forward to checking it out thoroughly. It came from a Junior High School.

Todd

Jeff Duncan
08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah those are generally good planers, not just b/c they're well made, but b/c there's a million of them out there! Which means you can get a lot of helpful info and parts if needed;)

What it's worth depends on a lot of factors, like for instance....does it work? I've seen them go for next to nothing at auction, and as Chris said upwards of $1k for machines in good shape.

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
08-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Just make sure the head is a traditional three knife. I don't know if that model came with a quiet head but they consist of a series of shorter knives and are not very well liked. If it has that head it's value drops and you will want to replace with a byrd. No grinder also reduces value so 1K is on the high side unless really sweet shape. Dave

Todd Burch
08-10-2013, 3:30 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I bought a few tools in the first lot:
2 Radial Arm Saws (Dewalt and Rockwell)
1 Horizontal metal band saw - not sure of make.
1 tablesaw (looks like a Rockwell)
1 "something or other". I don't think it's a drill press, unless it's automated somehow. Might be a mill of some sort.
1 (perhaps a) scale of some sort
1 powermatic planer (this is the item I wanted)
===
7 items above @ $905 for the lot.

On a second lot, I got:
2 Jet dust collectors
1 24" woodmaster planer/moulder (this is the item I wanted)
100+ sheets of 4X8 tile board.
===
I went higher than I had intended for this second lot - $2,094. But, if you consider the tile board is $12.65 a sheet @ HD,
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thrifty-White-32-sq-ft-Hardboard-Panel-Board-709106/202090193#.UgaQnRx5BmQ and you take out $1,265 (of tile board I don't need) from $2,094, I paid $829 for the tools. That's how I rationalized it. I'll probably save a few sheets for floor protection and try to sell the rest @ half price on Craigs List.

On a third lot, I got:
A couple racks of metal stock (and the racks) A couple hundred pounds+, I reckon.
1 - older horizontal metal cutting band saw (yet another)
1 - 16" (I think) STATE free-standing disc sander (this is the item I really wanted)
===
$355 for above lot. I saw a used 16" MAX Sander on the Sterling website for just under $2K.

and a few other odds and ends. Looks like perhaps 2 trips in the 16' trailer this next week.

Dave Cav
08-10-2013, 11:14 PM
The table saw is an older single phase Delta Unisaw with a bullet motor, and what looks like the original switch.

Jamie Buxton
08-11-2013, 2:00 AM
The table saw is an older single phase Delta Unisaw with a bullet motor, and what looks like the original switch.

Might be a bit difficult to restore. Notice the half-inch steel plate that looks like it is welded to the top?!

Todd Burch
08-11-2013, 4:37 AM
i think it is just set there, along with the motor. ;)

Peter Quinn
08-11-2013, 7:12 AM
I'm using a 180 presently at a job location, and it's not a great experience. No segmented feed rollers, no segmented chip breaker, a kind of funky roll to the table as you feed stock, can only feed one board at a time or the other board stalls. What is the point of an 18" planer that only lets you pass one rail at a time? Big warning on the machine about not feeding multiple boards....looks original. I think there is a reason they sell so cheap. My little dc-380 does a far superior job of actually planing. If you want to plane cants and take a 1/2" off per pass, the PM 100 series is probably a good call. Or plane rough stock one wide board at a time two shifts per day. What it lacks in finess it makes up for in brute strength. But for finish work, I'm not loving it. I've used PM planers in the 200 series, they seem to work much better.

Todd Burch
08-11-2013, 8:21 AM
(I didn't sell my Felder....)

David Kumm
08-11-2013, 10:10 AM
In the old days 18" planers were considered "light" duty at 1300 lbs. Almost all had one piece rollers and chipbreakers. I think because boards were wider the need for segmented went to the 24" machines which were 2-3 times heavier. The rollers fed off the main motor rather than separately powered like on the 24" machines. The PM was considered more of a roughing planer than an Oliver or Newman but if adjusted correctly ( there is a lot to adjust ) and with a grinder in the hands of someone who knew how to operate it, the PM was capable of as fine a finish as any planer. There is very little new in planer technology over the years. Mainly spiral heads which compensate the the lighter build quality of new vs the old. The PM were a little clunky looking and had a big footprint for the size but were a fine machine. Dave

Matt Meiser
08-11-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking you did good considering the three machines you want. Any all might be three phase so you'll need a converter if you don't have one.

Personally I'd put the rest you don't want on CL and OWWM for fire-sale prices just to move it and I still think you'll make a good chunk back. You'd probably even do well scrapping if you can't sell quick enough for your taste.

Drill press looks like maybe a desirable variable speed Powermatic with a power feed (not sure that part is as desirable for woodworkers at least). Might do pretty good on resale there too.

Todd Burch
08-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks everyone.

Here's another view of the drill press. It shows more detail.

Mel Fulks
08-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Interesting comment about Newman planers. Ive only used one and it did not feed as well as Powermatics . Agree with the powermatic adjustment .They do give good step by step adjustment instructions that do work. Both of them ,and maybe most brands, came with low grade semi high speed .I have insisted on replacing some with M2 or T1 .Management was amazed at the improvement ,life is too short and sanding too expensive to to use up cheap steel.

Todd Burch
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
I got the serial #: 0-9963. Seems it was built in 1960. Model 160. Baldor, 5HP 3PH motor. I need to take the hood off to check out the works. Maybe tonight.

Chris Padilla
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Someone's shop, even though bigger, just got smaller. :) Looks like a nice haul, Todd.