PDA

View Full Version : Using some different stains

Bill Hensley
08-09-2013, 6:53 PM
I've been trying something different with some stain samples I was given. The stains I'm using are a collection of samples of concrete stains. They are water based.

The wood is maple for the bowl and the other "thing" is cherry. Both pieces of wood had character flaws so I just tried to salvage them the best I could and if they flew apart or went to pieces I didn't expect to be too upset about it.

The bowl is finished with WOP, not my favorite finish and the "thing" was sprayed with lacquer.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the concept and will continue to improve the process/technique because I think it has potential.

Please feel free to comment or critique.

Michelle Rich
08-09-2013, 7:42 PM
I hope you continue your quest..I like the flared rim bowl coloration..

Pat Scott
08-10-2013, 8:32 AM
I like what you've done. How did you apply the die? I assume you used a marker to trace the grain lines, then used a Q-Tip or something to apply the die? How did you prevent bleed through from one color to the next?

Eric Holmquist
08-10-2013, 9:39 AM
I like them both, but something about the one where the grain lines border the colors really works well

Bill Hensley
08-10-2013, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Pat - The dye was applied with a brush. On both pieces I wet the wood, let it dry and sanded off the raised grain. I did a color and moved to another section to give it time to dry a little. All dark lines were done with a pyro tool. Pyro on the bowl was done after the color, the cherry piece lines first then the color.

Eric - The grain on the bowl defined the color sections but the cherry didn't have the same character so it was done free form.

Steve Rost
08-12-2013, 7:27 AM
I like the bowl and the way you followed the grain lines. I like your shape on the 'thing'. I have been collecting dyes and have thought of coloring plain unfigured pieces. Some don't like color, it is just another weapon in your arsonal.

Carl Civitella
08-12-2013, 7:36 AM
Very nice work

Jeremy Hamaker
08-12-2013, 1:54 PM
I appreciate your creative experiments here. I do enjoy the look of that maple bowl, but I have to say I really like that 'thing'. It has great proportions, to my eye. The flared rim is nice, and the more upright sides of it make a great, visible canvas for your dyes. Thanks for sharing these!

Bill Hensley
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks again for the additional comments. I'm posting another in the series of experiments - "Glorified Dog Bowl"