PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer fence part question

Jason White
08-09-2013, 5:34 PM
I just acquired a used 42" Biesmeyer fence. It was made in Mesa, AZ and is gray in color. It's missing the pad on the cam foot that locks the fence down tight to the front square tube. This pad is very hard to find online and its expensive if you can even find it. I seem to recall from my last saw that it was some kind of laminate-faced thing with some padding behind it and a sticky back. Any idea what this stuff is and where Delta sources it from? I'd buy a whole roll of it just to avoid ever having to search for it again.

Jeff Duncan
08-09-2013, 6:22 PM
I wonder if you could just use a scrap piece of laminate and spray adhesive? Cost you next to nothing, (assuming you have those things lying around the shop), and probably work as good as the original.

good luck,
JeffD

Bruce Page
08-09-2013, 6:40 PM
Jason, I looked at the pad on mine and it measures 5/8 X 1¼ X 1/32 thick. The attached thickness with the adhesive or tape they used is about 0.040
Any piece of 1/32 laminate or hard plastic like nylon, and some double stick tape would do the job. You might need to pre-curve the pad to match the steel part but that shouldn’t be hard to do.

Bruce Page
08-09-2013, 6:45 PM
BTW, how do you like the Valley? I grew up not far from Sherman Oaks and used to cruise Van Nuys & Ventura Blvd every Friday & Saturday night. Think American Graffiti.. :cool:

johnny means
08-09-2013, 8:14 PM
Cheap thin cutting boards are a good source for this material.

Jerry Miner
08-09-2013, 8:27 PM
This stuff is widely available (search UHMW tape):

Slick Strip (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000902/4003/Slick-Strips-34-Width-132-Thick.aspx)

Bruce Page
08-09-2013, 9:36 PM
This stuff is widely available (search UHMW tape):

Slick Strip (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000902/4003/Slick-Strips-34-Width-132-Thick.aspx)

I would worry about UHMW compressing.

Lee Schierer
08-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Mine fell off once and I glued it back with some double sided tape. It hasn't come off since. It looked like a piece of plastic laminate. You could also use a piece of UHMW. All is does is act as a shim to keep the steel of the eccentric from galling on the little steel flipper that locks the fence in place.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2013, 10:38 PM
I wonder if you could just use a scrap piece of laminate and spray adhesive? Cost you next to nothing, (assuming you have those things lying around the shop), and probably work as good as the original.

good luck,
JeffD

I did this and it worked great. I attached it with contact cement from a tube.

Jason White
08-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Bruce. Doesn't the laminate have some kind of cushioned pad behind it, though? I seem to recall the the pad would compress a bit when locking down the fence.

Jason, I looked at the pad on mine and it measures 5/8 X 1¼ X 1/32 thick. The attached thickness with the adhesive or tape they used is about 0.040
Any piece of 1/32 laminate or hard plastic like nylon, and some double stick tape would do the job. You might need to pre-curve the pad to match the steel part but that shouldn’t be hard to do.

Jason White
08-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Isn't is supposed to compress a little?

I would worry about UHMW compressing.

Bruce Page
08-09-2013, 11:29 PM
No, it looks like standard laminate that's been glued on. I squeezed it with some needle-nose and didn't see any compression.