PDA

View Full Version : Location of extension table top alignment pins - question

Sam Murdoch
08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm nearing the end of the assembly of my table project. It has been such a long time since I have built an extension table that I'm reluctant to guess how many and where the table alignment pins are typically located.

What do you guys do? OR - how was it done on your own dining room table and does that work well? Pins in one edge of the main top and then in an edge of each leaf?

Table specs: 54" diameter top with 2 leaves at 18" wide. 15/16" thick and very nicely flat relative to each other surface (got lucky for a change :)).

3 or 4 enough for this width ? Will be using Festool dominos - I think - as locating these perfectly will be far easier and more exact than with dowels.

Thanks for chiming in!

Sam Murdoch
08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Thought I might find an answer to my question above on the internets but so far no luck and so I ask here again.

Does anyone have an extension table that they can check for how and where the pins are located. The answer to this question is not completely obvious to me and so I ask.
I can wing it and hope that my system works but I'd rather not experiment. Thank you if you can provide an answer.

John A langley
08-10-2013, 1:03 PM
Sam Table 42" 4 pins, one set in leave , one set in table top, maybe. 5 pins in 54"

Sam Murdoch
08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks John. Good to get a confirmation - I was thinking I might need some alternating pins on both edges but geez that seemed like overkill.

John A langley
08-11-2013, 2:03 PM
Sam I would use metal pins with the sleeves , not the dominoes