PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on A Replacement Hinge

Victor Stearns
08-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Greetings Creeker's,
We built a small wardrobe for my daughter 10+ years ago. Well after that time the original SOSS Invisible hinges are starting to fail. Each door uses 3 hinges. The choice of hinge came from a magazine article about the construction.

Thus the question, Would you just use the exact hinge? Advantage is pop in place no further work. Disadvantage: most likely will fail in the future.
Option 2 install the "taller" Soss hinge? Will require a little work to increase the hinge pocket height.
Option 3 Concealed hinges? Disadvantage, lower drawer may not have the clearance to open

Constraints
1. Doors are full insert and measure 13.5 x 62.5 inches
2. Drawer in the bottom of the wardrobe that needs clearance to open when the doors are open

Looking forward to your thoughts
Victor

Link to SOSS Hinges: http://www.soss.com/wood_or_metal/soss_invisible_hinge_model_103/?F_Sort=2

Sam Murdoch
08-09-2013, 10:53 AM
All things considered I think I would opt for the next size up Soss - though you could simply replace the existing size every 10 years or so and that's not great but not such a big deal either. Maybe add a 4th of the same size.

Option 2 - regular butt hinges

Option 3 - top and bottom knife hinges

Both of these will require changing the look of the cabinet, filling holes, making more holes and possibly needing to trim the doors a bit. Option 1 seems logical.

I stopped using Soss a long time ago because of the complete and utter lack of adjustability. A regular butt hinge doesn't have much adjustment either but install it is not such a commitment.

Mel Fulks
08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Those hinges have been around a long time and I think will continue to be .I would replace with same size and possibly add two more of that size.