PDA

View Full Version : Where's there's a will....there's a way....

Mike Langford
08-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Have you ever had one of those times when, you come across a really good deal on an item, but you just don’t have anywhere to put it?
That’s what I was faced with while I was out on my every Saturday mornin’ yard sale treasure hunt, I stopped at a pretty large one about 2 miles from the house.
There’s where I found a 53”H x 42”W x 19”D *Nice* 4 drawer file cabinet!
I asked the lady “how much?” and she said $4…..that was sure cheap enough BUT I didn’t really have anymore space in my shop for it!!
Well, I bought it anyways :) and figured I’d make a spot for it at that price….I paid her, and told her I’d be back in 10 or 15 mins to pick it up (I go to yard sales in my wife’s Madza 3 to save gas) ….When I returned with my truck, I was extremely lucky that there was a nice, helpful, BIG feller there to help me get it in the truck…that sucka was heavier than it looked!
When I got home I went out in my shop and just sat there about 15 mins or so lookin’ around to try and find a place to put this thing….Well, after “scrunching” some tools closer together….I finally cleared a spot approx. 43” wide!!!
My next problem was how I was going to get it from my driveway to my shop….It was just me and my 5’1” wife!
I had planned on removing the drawers to lighten it, but I tried for over an hour to figure out how to remove the slides (they were full-extension Accuride slides) but there was NO release mechanism…so I just removed the drawer fronts and that lighten it up a little….then (with my wife helping to keep the drawers in) I hand trucked it to the shop.

Here's it's new home...

This cabinet has a safety locking device that will only allow one drawer to be opened at a time to prevent toppling....but I screwed it to wall for added safety

Here it is all cleaned up and the drawer fronts reinstalled (I had to wash a little S.C. red clay mud off of the extreior but the inside was pristine) The drawers measure 39"W x 17"D x 11"H

I've started putting a few tools away already....

Continued...

Mike Langford
08-09-2013, 12:53 AM
I've got plenty of storage space...

I've also got a place to bolt my craft paper dispenser

My planer had to give-up his spot against the wall but he'll be fine in front!

Well, if I find anymore "deals" I'm either going to have to hang it from the ceiling or build on 'cause I'm outta wall space!! ;)

Michael Weber
08-09-2013, 9:14 AM
Nice score Mike. Can't beat $4.00

Jeremy Hamaker
08-09-2013, 1:38 PM
….It was just me and my 5’1” wife!

The best mover I've ever known (stronger, smarter, more reliable and with more endurance) is my 5'3" wife. I'd take her over anyone else, any day!!