PDA

View Full Version : Proof of fishing with Marc Himes in the U.P.

Jeff Nicol
08-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Hello creekers, This is a continuation of a comment that Marc Himes made a few days ago when we had been fishing on lake Superior the morning I was going to do a tool demo for their turning club. For me the weather was perfect, cool, cloudy and not much wind, and with a couple of great fishing companions to round out a fine first time out on lake Superior. I met Marc at the marina on Presque Isle and Capt. Al was there waiting for us and we were out on the lake very soon after. We had been out just about 20 minutes when we got the first fish, a small Coho salmon but a good size for a nice meal for my wife and I. The next fish came near the end of our loop back to the marina, and that is the lake trout Marc reeled in, it also came home with me and will most likely get put in the smoker next week when I have time.

That night was the demo at the club meeting and It was a great success and everyone had a lot of questions and I had a lot of answers. We will have to wait for Steve S. to get some pictures of my demo and tool creations to prove it all took place, but here are some pics of the fishing trip.

Thanks and I had a great time with Marc, Steve and all the rest of the U.P Turners that I met up there!

Jeff

Ray Bell
08-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Great fun Jeff, before opening SMC, I had just emailed you wondering if you had been fishing yet this summer. I'm happy you had a good time. Many years ago I lived in the UP and loved fishing Superior, too much snow each year for me now though, would like to take a road trip someday just to revisit though. Beautiful country.

philip labre
08-09-2013, 8:37 AM
Glad you had a good time Jeff. I ended up working late that night and was quite disappointed I missed your demo. I was really looking forward to it. Guess I'll have to wait for the news letter.

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2013, 8:56 AM
Jeff arrived late Saturday afternoon and we managed to talk until real late that night. Sunday, Jeff and I attended Marc Himes' retirement party. It was almost a turning club meeting because of all the club members that attended! That worked out great as Jeff got to meet and talk to a bunch of them and I am sure that helped the demo he gave on Tuesday.

Monday was cloudy, cool and rain. We went to Presque Isle (http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/wildlife/viewingguide/up/19Presque/index.htm) to hike around a bit so Jeff could see some of the area up here. Jeff has many interests (that's putting it mildly!!) and one of them is prospecting. He had fun in checking out some of the rocky areas!

Monday afternoon, even though it was raining, I took Jeff down to our property so he could do some gold panning. Wish I had some photos of that but it was raining hard and I like my camera! Just the same it was funny to watch Jeff stooped over panning... oblivious to the rain, mosquitoes or the obvious LACK of gold!!

Tuesday morning is when Jeff went fishing with Marc and Tuesday evening is when he gave his demo. Jeff set a club record for the longest running club meeting ever! Usually when the clock hits 9 pm, members just get up and leave! Well, Jeff didn't wrap up speaking until around 9:20 and no one had left!! He then started grinding some drill bits (to use for hollowing end-grain) and handed them out to anyone who wanted one! Finally managed to clear the room at 10:40!! Never seen so many old guys so excited about a meeting before!
268191 268192 268193 268194

It was a blast! Thanks Jeff!

Alan Trout
08-09-2013, 9:12 AM
Jeff,

It looks like everyone had a good time. That looks like South Texas winter weather on the boat. But always fun to get out fishing.

John Keeton
08-09-2013, 9:47 AM
Well.....I am jealous!! That is the same, handsome, talented and debonaire guy I recall spending a little time with a couple years ago.:D Jeff has more creative ideas in a month than most folks have in a lifetime! Being with him in his shop is fascinating.

Mike Svoma
08-16-2013, 1:24 PM
Jeff has more creative ideas in a month than most folks have in a lifetime! Being with him in his shop is fascinating.

I couldn't agree more, John. Sometimes it scares me to think of how much is rattling around in his head at any given time.

Ray Bell
08-16-2013, 3:11 PM
His multiple ideas are amazing, but to be able to execute them is even more amazing. I wish I had 1/2 of his talents.

Ray Bell
08-17-2013, 8:20 PM
Not only do I wish I had 1/2 of Jeff's talents, I also wish I lived two or three states closer to him. He is a very nice person, and I think it would be a joy to hang out with hom some.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2013, 9:47 AM
Looks like a great time was had by all. I have several of Jeff's ideas in my shop including the drill bits. Someday going to hit that part of the country for a visit.