View Full Version : This Way

charlie knighton
08-08-2013, 7:26 PM
Cairn Box
7 x 11
maple, mesquite, basswood, maple

Roger Chandler
08-08-2013, 8:31 PM
Most unusual, Charlie! Your previous explanation of the Cairns in the Southwest, is in my opinion necessary for understanding your form here. You seem to be able to draw inspiration from those features ............more than I could do! How many pieces have you turned in this southwestern theme, overall?

Is your goal one where you are making a number of pieces that when all are displayed together will tell a story? I think about your wall hangings with the depictions of Indian life, etc...........I am just wondering where all your work is leading to..........This has some intriguing aspects and possibilities.........care to share where you are going with this series?:)

charlie knighton
08-08-2013, 10:13 PM
How many pieces have you turned in this southwestern theme, overall?

not sure.....a lot of the southwestern theme was an outgrowth of being in boy scouts, born in buffalo, and winning a burning set in a raffle......i have spitoons, wallhangings, wedding containers, and cairns....probably left something out
it is all a learning curve and what type of wood i have at any one time.......i just got some more brradford pear wood, should be able to turn it late september.....look for some pyro spitoons

the learning curve is the thing......i have had several series....the bear-clawed, rovers, multi-axis wallhangings, park avenue boxes, and the cairns
I am just wondering where all your work is leading to.....as a boy, one of my favorite historical figures was Capt. James Cook.....as you know he was a famous explorer and mapper.......i am just trying to be my own capt james cook, but my unknown is wood exploring

hope this helps

earlier in my employment i worked at big box retailer at several locations, stack it high and be the price leader, i try not to repeat that with my work