PDA

View Full Version : Book Gloat - 500 Wood Bowls book

Brian Tymchak
08-08-2013, 5:48 PM
A while back I posted a question here about how to learn about different types / shapes of bowls. A few responded that the 500 Wood Bowls book by Lark was a nice reference to have. At the time I ordered it from Amazon, or thought I had. I ended up with something completely different. I've looked for it off and on at different sites and of course they didn't have it, or like Amazon, were selling it for $175+.

Was on the thegmcgroup website a couple weeks ago checking out subscription prices for Woodturning Magazine and noticed they also sold books. Flipped over there and right there on page 1 of the Woodworking section - 500 Wood Bowls for 17.99 L (~$27 ). There was no indication of it being out of stock, so I figured, what the heck. Ordered it. When I got the confirmation email, there was a note at the bottom that it was back-ordered. Well, that was pretty much what I expected and then eventually would be asking for a refund.

Opened my mailbox today and found this:

$36 with shipping.

Turned out to be a pretty good day after all... :D

Greg A Jones
08-08-2013, 6:07 PM
Scores are always a good thing. Just looked and didn't see it available.

John Keeton
08-08-2013, 6:31 PM
There are a few on the bay - around $90 used. Congrats!

Robert Henrickson
08-08-2013, 7:08 PM
When this topic last came up, I found a copy of 500 Bowls at the local Woodcraft for about $20.

BILL DONAHUE
08-09-2013, 12:49 AM
I have spent more time with that book than any other. It's worth even the $175 price.

Rick Markham
08-09-2013, 1:21 AM
It's a fantastic book, one of my favorites.

Brian Tymchak
08-09-2013, 8:12 AM
Scores are always a good thing. Just looked and didn't see it available.

I'm guessing they chose to honor their advertised price for me and somehow came up with a copy. If so, kudos to them.

I quickly thumbed through some the book last night. Wow. I'm in awe of the imagination it takes to come up with some of those designs. Looking forward to sitting down with that book this weekend with my favorite frosty adult beverage..

Dan Hintz
08-09-2013, 8:41 AM
I'm guessing they chose to honor their advertised price for me and somehow came up with a copy. If so, kudos to them.

I quickly thumbed through some the book last night. Wow. I'm in awe of the imagination it takes to come up with some of those designs. Looking forward to sitting down with that book this weekend with my favorite frosty adult beverage..

Yep... they don't list the book anymore.

Richard Jones
08-10-2013, 2:46 AM
I got a copy from Amazon in 2012 for $21............:D

i would have rather won the lottery the other night, but hey, you play the cards what's dealt you......

To be honest, I was not as impressed with it nearly as much as I thought I would/should be. Loved Richard Raffan's stuff, as always, but a lot of it was/is way over the top for me. I guess I'm too much of a utilitarian for a lot of it.