PDA

View Full Version : Is this a 3520A or B Powermatic?

Adrian Anguiano
08-08-2013, 3:15 PM
Its got a caster setup, tailstock swivel, and some toolrests. They want $2800, but I'm not for sure if its the A or B, and if its the A version if that knocks down its value. Also the motor stamp date is 2003, not sure how much that plays in it too. Its either this, or Im going to buy a new Jet 1642 2hp for around $2300

Ray Koberstine
08-08-2013, 3:22 PM
The tag says 3520A. I don't own a 3520 nor am I an expert but I thought the main difference was the variable speed drive. I don't think the B's were that much better to discount the A's much. I would think that's a good deal for a nice package.

Roger Chandler
08-08-2013, 3:23 PM
Its got a caster setup, tailstock swivel, and some toolrests. They want $2800, but I'm not for sure if its the A or B, and if its the A version if that knocks down its value. Also the motor stamp date is 2003, not sure how much that plays in it too. Its either this, or Im going to buy a new Jet 1642 2hp for around $2300

That is the "A" model..........they were mostly manufactured here in the USA......have no digital readout for rmp's and have a headstock indention tha allows you to get in behind a form with a gouge a little easier...........I would choose this if it is in good shape........I saw another A model for about $2500 last week........I think it had the green paint for the powermatic logo on the gold paint, a little older unit I believe.

Bob Bergstrom
08-08-2013, 3:27 PM
It an A. No digital read out and the banjo tool rest is not offset. Still a better lathe that the 1642. Everything is overbuilt compared to the Jet. I believe the rpm will go even lower than the B modal. It looks like brand new. It looks like a nice set of wheels under it.

Richard Coers
08-08-2013, 3:27 PM
That's a lot more lathe than the 1642. I'd offer a little less, but would prefer the Powermatic.

Reed Gray
08-08-2013, 3:31 PM
I had an A, earlier model than this one, and it was made over seas. This one has the newer banjo, compared to my old one. Speed range was 0 to 1500 on the slow speed range, and 1 to 3,000 on the high speed range. You could dial the speed down to almost 0 while the B model turns off at 50. I needed the lower rpm's to sand out my warped bowls. Excellent lathe. For sure a step up from the Jet 1642.

robo hippy

Adrian Anguiano
08-08-2013, 3:40 PM
haha.. i didnt see that "A" on the motor. Thanks Ray.

No digital readout?? BUMMER! :( I guess I could guess and make notches by the dial?? That seems like a big difference.

That cutout does look neat on the headstock, not sure if the banjo offset would do anything for me.

So do ya think the caster set system would cause vibration? Almost sounded like a negative add on to me.

Yall really think its that much of an upgrade from a 1642 huh? Im still pretty new to turning, and was wondering if getting rid of 7 inches or so on the bed length was gonna hurt me, but I guess thats long enough for most table legs.

Roger Chandler
08-08-2013, 4:00 PM
haha.. i didnt see that "A" on the motor. Thanks Ray.

No digital readout?? BUMMER! :( I guess I could guess and make notches by the dial?? That seems like a big difference.

That cutout does look neat on the headstock, not sure if the banjo offset would do anything for me.

So do ya think the caster set system would cause vibration? Almost sounded like a negative add on to me.

Yall really think its that much of an upgrade from a 1642 huh? Im still pretty new to turning, and was wondering if getting rid of 7 inches or so on the bed length was gonna hurt me, but I guess thats long enough for most table legs.

If it were me........I would definitely go with this over the Jet..........much more lathe for about the same money........although you won't get a warranty because it is a used lathe..........but it looks like it has been well cared for. The casters are a plus!

Mike Cruz
08-08-2013, 4:20 PM
Adrian, you can add an after market digital tach for $100 or less. Don't let that be your deciding factor.

Reed Gray
08-08-2013, 4:28 PM
I would get rid of the casters. Only reason to keep them on is if you are going to roll it out to turn, then roll it back to use the rest of the shop. You can turn 30 inch table legs on it without too much trouble. The '36' on it means how much room there is between the tailstock when on the end, and the headstock when on the other end. This is not how long of a spindle you can turn. Add in a spur drive and a tail center, and that makes it shorter. There was a way to compute speeds by the read out on the back, which was an electrical measure, and not an rpm indicator. I never found a read out to be useful because I learned with out it. You could, with nothing mounted, turn the dial till it comes on, and make a mark with a sharpie on the lathe, turn the know all the way up till the rpm does not go any higher and make a mark there. Divide into 3 of 4 sections and that will get you close (as in 0, 500, 1500 on the low range).

Yes, it is a big step up from the Jet. For sure as in way more mass, and wider base. I know there were 18 inch bed extensions that were available. There may still be some in stock, or the newer ones for the B might fit. Call Jet/PM/WMT (I think that is their name) tool group and they could tell you.

robo hippy

Jon Nuckles
08-08-2013, 7:41 PM
I have a 3520B and I find that I don't really need the RPM readout. It is nice to confirm where you are, but almost all the speed adjustments I make are done by "feel." Do as Robo Hippy suggests to mark your dial, and don't let the lack of a speed readout keep you from getting much more lathe for the money.

Eddie Howard
08-08-2013, 8:45 PM
If you will tell me where this one is -- I'll help you with the decision -- you'll be buying a jet and I'll be useing a PM3520A:D!!!:rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
08-08-2013, 9:12 PM
Adrian, Since it has the tailstock pivot attachment that will give you extra length to turn a longer spindle, that is of course if it has a positve enough locking mechanism to keep it stable. I say this because I have never used one, but it is a great lathe and looks to be in barely used condition and like has already been said come in with $100 dollar bills in hand and offer a bit less and see what the seller says.

Good luck and welcome to the realm of the infamous "Turning Vortex"!

Jeff

Fred Belknap
08-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Our club has both and most demonstrators want to use the A model.

robert baccus
08-08-2013, 11:04 PM
The B model also has a compartment for tools in the tailstock. My RPM readout and button lock both fell off 2 years ago And I miss neither. The best Rpm gauge is your pucker string.

Dan Hintz
08-09-2013, 7:39 AM
I find that I don't really need the RPM readout. It is nice to confirm where you are, but almost all the speed adjustments I make are done by "feel."

Agreed. I thought I would miss having one when I picked up my Robust, but I do it all by what feels good for the stock on the spindle.

Mike Cruz
08-09-2013, 8:07 AM
I like having the read out. Granted, I pretty much turn as fast as the piece will let me, but it is still nice to have as a reference.

Funny, I NOW know what people mean by "I just set the speed by feel". But I think there is a learning curve, and until you know what to feel for, the digital read out is for just that. Now, Robust probably assumes that turners that get one of their lathes already have and know the "feel" thing...that would be my guess as to why they don't include them.

Adrian Anguiano
08-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Which is a better deal 2900 w/ casters, tailstock swivel, tool rests, chuck, or 2000 just the lathe?

Steve Mawson
08-10-2013, 1:19 PM
Just me but I would do the $2000 deal. Like said before unless you have to move around you don't need the casters, just something else to vibrate. You look like a strong young guy so taking the tail stock on and off is no big deal. I don't really remove mine that much anyway.

Reed Gray
08-10-2013, 1:32 PM
"You know you are a woodturner when you have a hole in your elbow from forgetting to move the tailstock!" unknown.......

robo hippy

Baxter Smith
08-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I picked up an A on Craigslist 3 years ago that is two months older. Have had zero issues with it and it certainly looks like it has seen a lot more use. Just the lathe for 2000 looks like the better deal.
Whether it is worth the extra 900 would depend on how many chucks and what kind of extra tool rests it comes with. The tailstock manager looks like a Down-n-Out available from JT tools for 289. A Lift-Lock-n-Roll is available from Packard for 328 that looks more convenient than what your pictures show.

Adrian Anguiano
08-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. We ended up settling at $2200 for lathe, casters, tail stock swing, Cole saw set, live center and extra tool rest, rockler tool holder, and he had a tachometer to check the rpms that he gave me as well ;)

Can't wait to use it!

Jon Prouty
08-11-2013, 1:04 AM
Let me be the first to congratulate you on a great deal.

Dan Hintz
08-11-2013, 3:08 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. We ended up settling at $2200 for lathe, casters, tail stock swing, Cole saw set, live center and extra tool rest, rockler tool holder, and he had a tachometer to check the rpms that he gave me as well ;)

Nicely done... I think you'll be quite happy with the extra size/power.

Paul Gilbert
08-11-2013, 11:01 AM
That tail stock swing away unit is made by Robust. I have one and love it. If you are going to turn bowls with the head stock slid down to the end of the lathe so that you can work facing the bowl opening, then a tail stock swing away will become almost indispensable. I think I paid over $300 for mine. Throw in some tool rests at $50 a copy and a chuck at $150 - $300 plus jaws and you are paying a hefty price for the casters which may or may not be a benefit.

Baxter Smith
08-11-2013, 8:59 PM
Good deal, good lathe. Lots of good times ahead! Enjoy it Adrian.

Jeremy Hamaker
08-12-2013, 2:35 PM
Good wheeling and dealing! Hearty congratulations to you Sir. Quite possibly the last time you will ever need to buy a lathe (not that any of us would let that stop us... :D ).

Jake Helmboldt
08-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Adrian, I have a 1642 and if I was in your shoes I'd jump on that. Since it is out of warranty and the older model offer a couple hundred less. Worst they can say is no. Cash talks.

As for the accessories, I would be inclined to get them, but you don't say what they are specifically. Maybe offer $2600 or 2700 for everything and see if they bite. The casters would be helpful getting it in place and if you decide to move it, you can. Once in place, sell them. Someone will buy them, and you recoup some funds. If it is a high quality chuck, that is at least a couple hundred $, maybe more, especially with multiple jaw sets. Tool rests are nice to have extras, but again, what brand? Prices vary considerably. The tailstock swing away is handy, and that tailstock is heavy. It also gives you a little bed extension should that ever be needed. The swing away is a few hundred extra too. Add up the extras and discount appropriately for used condition and figure out if they are worth the extra.