PDA

View Full Version : should 5 year old waxed blanks be dry?

Christopher Collins
08-08-2013, 2:53 PM
Howdy folks, first post as a new member.

I recently picked up a few boxes of small turning blanks at an estate sale for about 10% of what they would cost new. A box of about 90 pen blanks and another box of 45 bottle stopper blanks, all of exotic woods. Really fantastic stuff, about 15 different woods, everything from ebony to tulip-wood to lignum vitae, $10 per box.
You can imagine my excitement! Enough to last for years

The bottle stopper blanks, and a few of the pen blanks, are completely encased in wax or paraffin, so I assume they were green when bought, or wet enough to require sealing. I know from the shipping label on the boxes that they were bought around 2008, so it's been 5 years. So my question is is this: will a small turning blank (1.5 x 1.5 x 3 inches) dry at all after 5 years in wax? Or should I assume these are as wet as the day they were bought.

I'm not actually planning on turning these, but I figured the turning section would be the place to ask. I was going to use them for knife handles (pen blanks work fine as scales on paring knives and small folders), so I don't want to put them on a knife and have them shrink or crack, or leave gaps.

Thanks

Prashun Patel
08-08-2013, 2:59 PM
That is plenty of time. In fact, if the grain is straight, they wer probably stable enough to make into a knife long ago.

Christopher Collins
08-08-2013, 3:02 PM
There was no burl in these boxes, just straight grained wood.

Richard Coers
08-08-2013, 3:30 PM
5 year old waxed ebony would probably still be trouble if machined thin. Some exotics seem to never really get that dry. But as mentioned, should be plenty good for knife handles.

Christopher Collins
08-08-2013, 3:39 PM
OK, I just checked the box and here are the woods that are waxed.
African Blackwood
Lignum vitae
cocobolo
olive wood
bocote
red heart
pink ivory
chakte viga
east-indian rosewood
granadillo

are there any in particular I should be careful with, as far as checking or dryness?